We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days in the tropical north

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
12 days in the tropical north

Hi Guys,

I posted earlier this year about my honeymoon and got loads of help. You were all so full of ideas we have now decided to double our stay.

We are booked for 6 nights from March 26 at SeaChange Trinity Beach which we are really looking forward to but I am now undecided about what to do with the next 6.

My first thought is to split the time between PD and Mission Beach. We will have a car for the entire time. So I guess my question is what would you do with an extra 6 days in the area.

Also should i take my reef trip whilst at Trinity or wait and do it from PD or Cape Trib? My husband to be gets quite sea sick so I really want something gentle.

Also does anyone know of a good self drive guide book or website for the area? I dont mind buying something if its worthwhile.

Thanks in advance

Paula

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days in the tropical north

Hi Emerald, I am assuming you will see most things that you wish to see in this time. You are close enough to Port Douglas to explore this area. Do your reef trip from PD.

For the following 6 days, i would either

a) Take a road trip via Atherton Tableland south. Visit waterfalls, rainforest, Boulders, Paronella Park, Mission Beach, Cardwell, Hinchinbrook Island

b) Drive to Whitsundays and spend a few days in this beautiful area

Our motoring association RACQ has a good trip planner www.racq.com.au

Have a great time

Cheers

Jeff

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,664 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days in the tropical north

I would also check out the Whitsunday Islands..its very beautiful.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days in the tropical north

Hi Surfoz and Ellemay,

Thanks for the replies.

I think we will go for the option 1 Surfoz and save the whitsundays for our next holiday. We really dont want to do too much driving.

Just a question about Hitchinbrook, do you think its worth staying on the island overnight?

Also is it worth staying overnight in Cape Trib or PD when our first 6 days are up at Trinity before heading to the hinterland?

Thanks again

Paula

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 days in the tropical north

Hi Paula

If I had half a chance I would stay there, I particulary like the idea of an ecco friendly wilderness resort, however i will have to leave it up to others to report on their stay here. Great walks.

Not too far to the north, is also Dunk Island and Mission Beach.

I really love staying in PD, however it is not that far from where you are staying so I am not sure if it is worth it this trip. Perhaps a little further up at Capr Trib.