We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns/Palm Cove/Port Douglas dilemma!

london
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Cairns/Palm Cove/Port Douglas dilemma!

We fly into Cairns and were going to spend 5 nights at the Lakes before going to the suggested Mandalay or we are looking into the Outrigger Beach. Or the other alternative, in order not to unpack twice was to stay in Palm Cove, halfway, I believe for the whole 11 nights.

Do you think we could service both area's like this, as we will be picking a car up from the airport? Or should we take transfers to the hotels, and opt for the organised day trips including travel? I guess main disadvantage is that we will need to drive out in different directions each eve/for day trips to different beaches.

Thanks again, Siobhan

11. Re: Cairns/Palm Cove/Port Douglas dilemma!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:13 am, July 06, 2006
Brisbane
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Cairns/Palm Cove/Port Douglas dilemma!

I agree with all of that - but in my opinion a family would be best off renting a holiday home as they are a lot cheaper than staying at a resort. There are hundreds to choose from and range between $1600 - $2500 per week ( depending on luxury level) and can sleep up to 8. Just do a search on holiday houses in palm cove. Also for your info Palm Cove has the cleanest beach in Oz - and you can just stroll to the beach or restaurants from it. PD is a bit more difficult to navigate with out a car because there is 4 mile beach - but its scantly provided for in terns of drinks or food straight off the beach. You have to walk up to Macrossan st and then about 1 - 2kms back to the beach. Palm Cpve has 16 places to eat or drink just along the Esplanade. Also Palm Cove has more of a village atmosphere and I find the beach itself more interesting.

The Novotel used to be nive, but it has recently been bought out by developers who are digging up the golf course to build units and luxury private houseing - so its gone downhill substantially.