We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns Help

Llanelli, Wales, UK.
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns Help

Hi

We are two couples early 20's from Wales, travelling to Australia in March for four weeks. The last 10 days we are planning to stay in Cairns because we have been told this is one of the best places to stay along the north east coast. Is it worth staying 10 nights here or is it worth staying up in port douglas for a few nights as we are interested in visiting the rain forest and barrier reef or shall we just travel too and fore by car? As you prob have noticed we are really struggling to plan our trip your help would be much apprecaited! Or is there any other good places to stay in this area. As budget is tight we have looked at staying in the Cairns Holiday Lodge because it is only $85 Aus dollars a night thats about £35 pound, any feed back on this Hotel would be apprecited or if any body can suggest any good places.

Cheers

Justin

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns Help

I think you would be better off spending time up at Port Douglas,which is closer to the reef and rainforest.Port is only an hours drive and has the best beaches in the area.

Check out these:

http://www.portdouglasinfo.com/

www.wotif.com/Search.jsp…

Seeing you have 10 days,you could break it up into 3 days Port Douglas,4 days in the rainforest at Cape Tribulation which has budget accom at PK's Jungle Village which are huts close to the beach,had many a new years eve here (-; and the last 3 days back at Port Douglas or at Palm Cove on the way back to the airport.

From Cairns,Palm Cove is 30 minutes north and Port Douglas is 60 minutes north and the Daintree further north again.

Cheers

John

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns Help

Port Douglas is only an hour drive norht of Port Douglas, it is a beautiful coastal town.

If you like all the things that go with a city, then stay in Cairns but if you want to relax in a coastal village, stay in PD. You may struggle to find cheaper accomodation in PD than you have found in Cairns.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns Help

If you're on a tight budget I can recommend Quality Inn Rainbow Southside on Mulgrave.

We've stayed there twice, the last time was at the end of Dec 05.

First time we stayed we had a small kitchenette with spa bath and we were able to close off the bedroom area from the lounge.

This time around we went with just a standard room with a balcony. We only stayed 1 night in Cairns.

The cost of this one was AU$88.

We quite like the place and would stay there again.

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns Help

I certainly wouldn't stay at the Cairns Holiday Lodge - it is a horrible accommodation place, very noisy with traffic, plane noise and it is yuk. Cooking facilities here are not the best at all!

I would look at Trinity Beach for accommodation especially Comfort Suites, Trinity Beach Club - they do a very good deal in their very nice 2 bedroom mezzanine apartments - with cooking facilities.

There are many good places to see - but I would speak to Trinity Beach Club or email them on info@trinitybeachclub.com.au.

Good luck

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns Help

My hubby and i are going to be staying at the Bohemia Resort in Cairns during June. I don't know much about this 'backpacker' type accommodation, but from what i've seen it looks quite 'classy' for a backpacker place and only $75-$80 a night - might be worth a look??

Cheers

Lyn

Llanelli, Wales, UK.
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns Help

Thanks for all the help so far given us more of an idea. Think we will split the 10 days up now between Port Douglas, Palm Cove and Cairns. Thanks again for the help so far.

Cheers

JusE