We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and Crocs!

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation and Crocs!

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there would be any semi-decent accommodation in the heart of Cairns city in late June (peak season!) for around $100 per night for 2 adults?

Also, i know this will probably sound silly, but what's the deal with the croc's??? Can i go swimming in the rivers/creeks at this time of year? People tell me that it's fine to do that, but then where do they lurk? Why do I hear of croc deaths while people have been swimming in rivers? Please help the niave!

Cheers

Lyn

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and Crocs!

Lyn - you should never swim in rivers or estuarian areas any time of the year - crocs are year round residents, and not seasonal visitors. Unless you are very certain, don't swim nor hover on the side of rivers etc as if you are in a crocs territory, they are hungry or anxious you may be in danger. Only swim in known croc free areas.

As for semi-decent accommodation in CBD of Cairns, give us some dates and let us do our exploring!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and Crocs!

Thanks BFLF!

I was a little baffled by the croc situation as most of the accommodation i was looking at on the net, (up near the Daintree mainly), said 'come and swim in our freshwater river or under our waterfall'. So, they must be 'known croc free waters'?? I thought it was dangerous to do - think i'll keep my toes out of the fresh water - to be safe!

My dates for Cairns city accommodation is the nights of 25th and 26th June (i will be heading up north after that), then back to Cairns city for one night on the 4th July. I only need basic room for 2 as we will be spenging most of our money on wonderful accommodation on the other nights in between! Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers

Lyn

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and Crocs!

there are a few properties that appear to still have rooms. No flash here, but they will be in town (poss a few blocks from dead city center but very easy to walk) Have seen inside of many of these and some are outdated decor, but heck, for a few nights that's ok.

My first choice would be Coral Tree Inn, but looks as if no rooms - you may wish to contact them directly to see if they can get you in.

Figtree Lodge- really a great place but on Sheridan halfway between airport and CBD. Around a 20 min walk to Pier/Marina. Super clean and nice people. Decor it tropical and well done. Great Irish Pub/Restaurant that locals support right on the property. Good eats.

Mercure Harbourside

Best Western Acacia Court

Comfort Inn and Suites

Cairns Plaza (old Tuna Towers)

Cairns appears to be very full already so best not let this go too long

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and Crocs!

Absolutely not! Do not swim in rivers or creeks unless you have been advised by a relevant authority that it is safe to do so.

Tell those people who tell you that it's fine to do so, to go in first.

Some of the more popular places you can swim include The Boulders,Mossman Gorge and Crystal Cascades

Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation and Crocs!

Hi, just back from holiday in Cairns. There are plenty of places to go swimming in the rivers and they are all marked clearly in the brochures. Places like crystal cascades, boulders, lakes in the tablelands etc. The northern beaches which are just north of Cairns will be fine for swimming in June because there are no stingers. The fresh water lagoon on the forshore at Cairns is fantastic, free, supervised and across the road from main shopping centre.Try a www.wotif.com for accomodation as a guide and then check out the individual hotels. We just stayed at 181 Apartments for $145/night , lovely self catering apartment, pool, sauna,spa, sea views. It was about 15 mins walk along esplanade to city.