We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Cairns

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Cairns

Hi all,

I have a rough itinerary planned for June next year for my husband and I. Does this look alright with you, or what would you suggest, etc?

24th June - Fly to Cairns from Tassie. Stay next 3 nights in Cairns central.

25th June - White water rafting Tully River.

26th June - Tourist stuff. Night markets?

27th June - Karanda/Skyrail/Railway. Pick up hire car and drive to Holloway’s Beach for next 5 nights.

28th June - Relax, beach day.

29th June - Great Barrier Reef snorkelling.

30th June - Relax, beach day.

1st July - Tandem sky-dive? 4wd Tour?

2nd July - Drive to Thala Beach Lodge for next 2 nights. Sight see at Port Douglas.

3rd July - Visit Mossman Gorge.

4th July - Return hire car. Depart Cairns airport for Tasmania.

Are there any more 'must dos' when visiting the above places?

What's the average temp/weather conditions like at this time of year?

I am interested to know if Holloway's Beach is easy access to any more exciting tours,etc. We are keen on a 4wd tour while in Cairns??

Also, i notice A LOT of different companies advertising 'Great Barrier Reef full day tours' - which one do you recommend?

Anyhow, all your hints, tips and ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Lyn

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Cairns

You will love Tassie spent 5 days there. The night markets are fun in Cairns. Shop before you buy if you have time. Get some great deals. For the GBR we did Tusa Dive one day for our scuba diving and you can do snorkelin if you prefer. I recommend scuba. We also did another day on Ocean Spirit Cruise which was great. Both weren't too crouded. Tusa only had about 30 on the boat and I think Ocean Spirit might have had 75 max the day we went and they did things in shifts so wasn't too crowded anywhere. Dont get a cheap tour you will be packed like cattle. Pay a bit more for a smaller one. Plus the food and service was awsome on Ocean Spirit. Make sure to purchase an underwater camera on land at wooolworths much much much cheaper.

I'd recomend doing the Flames of the Forrest Dinner. Its a great learning experience about the rain forrest along with a very good Abroiginal perfomance about their culture and connection with the forrest. Long night though if you are in cairns when they pick you up. We got back to our hotel around 12:30am. Worth every penny.

Cairns itself dosen't have much of a beach so you'd have to drive to find one. We drove by Palm Cove and that looked wonderful. You might want to drive there or stay there one night and have dinner and walk the beach. Wish we had time to do that or even knew about it. I'd also do a Cape Tribulation tour. We used Down Under Tours (07)4035 5566 is their phone number in Portsmith, QLD very professional guides.

If you need help on Tassie let me know.

Hope this helps looks like a fun trip.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Cairns

livingsimple - I think you have a wonderful itinerary set here. Plenty of down time and plenty of activity time. Holloways is quite secluded compared to say, Palm Cove - mostly residential and folks walking the dog etc. Lovely area and will give you 5 peaceful nights.

As for your day tours - Rafting the Tully - good fun! Raging Thunder or R & R will give you a fabulous day.

Best of Kuranda Day - I prefer to book with Tjapukai directly so you start there. I have a strong feeling you should learn about the people/tribe you are about to tred on their land. Respect for the culture and residents should be mandatory vs 'going on a day tour'. So if you do Tjapukai first then have lunch in their great buffet, Skyrail, village of Kuranda and then the vintage train. The BIG3L package thru Tjapukai will include hotel transfers, lunch and these three attractions.

Snorkel Trip - from Holloways most reef tours will do pick ups for a small surcharge. You may wish to consider Reef Magic from Cairns as you are snorkelers, or Wavelength from Port Dougals. As you have a hire car, you may even drive to these departure points and have your car to explore after the reef day.

Thala Beach Lodge - one of my favs...you will really love this place - you might want to request a bungalow close to the main building unless you love long hilly walks. From the main bldg there is a downhill slope out the peninusla to the beach, and the bungalows are scattered along lighted pathways. A good torch helps at night, by the way. Just a pocket Mag-Light or similar will do the trick so you can spot the nocturnal drop bears and such.

Port Douglas has some great restaurants - dine at Thala one night as very romantic. Hit Salsa in PD for lunch or dinner.

You may also wish to do Breakfast with the Birds at the PD Rainforest Habitat on the way to Mossman Gorge. Then when at the Gorge, stop by the KuKuYalanji Aboriginal Center and do their 1 hr guided rainforest hike....really well done and worth the ??$15 or so per person. Then take your hamper, swimmers etc and go hike the gorge the remainder of the day. A good swim, hamper full of goodies and wow, what a day. By the way, you have several good markets in PD, one is right by the Rainforest Habitat so you can shop on your way out of town.

One item to bring up - you want a good 4WD trour while in the area. Wow, most Daintree trips are now done in 24 seater vehicles as the roads are now just about fully sealed. Used to be a good semi rugged day tour, and is now 12 hrs of redundant touring with a bunch of people you dont want to be with. You have a car, and will do so much better on your own. there used to be a HUMMER 4WD tour of the Kuranda Rainforest that was a white-knuckler, especially after a good rain. Kangaventure was the name, and not even sure if they are still around but that was a good 4WD tour. Also, there are some ATV tours where you drive the 4WD vehicle in the Kuranda Rainforest. Blazing Saddles and one other company do that one. They require certain clothing so check with them before you book, on the requirements - sometimes on holiday you pack all tropical clothing and these are not suitable for this tour. Good fun, though.