We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling and diving tour company out of Cairns...

Sarina Beach, AU
1 post
Save Topic
Snorkling and diving tour company out of Cairns...

My family is traveling to Cairns in Dec. and want a 2 or 3 day trip on the GBR any recommendations of tour companies? We have certified divers and snorkelers.

Also, how does Cairns reef compare to the reef off of Airlie beach?

Aussie Drifterz
Sightseeing Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Day Trips, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Spirit of Cairns
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling and diving tour company out of Cairns...

Try Pro Dive from Cairns - 2 nights/3 days and will take cert divers as well as snorkelers. There is an age limit of 12 yrs and as you didnt mention kids, will offer this advice anyway. Pro Dive offers a learn to dive program as well, so you will have students on board. Some see this is a distraction, I see this as many very qualified extra sets of eyes and ears. As a dive professional, I see this as a bonus, not a negative as some will say.

If you were to take one of the 1 night live-aboards out of Cairns, they stay moored out at the reef and use a shuttle boat to ferry passengers to/from the mother boat. This larger boat will move reef sites along with the other 3-4 one night operators out there, so they are diving very 'over dived' reef sites. Pro Dive breaks away and goes to much nicer reef areas good for both divers and snorkelers alike. Mind you, the 3night+ trips will be able to head much farther out to Cod Hole and the beautiful Ribbon Reefs, but this will not only cost more in time, but dollars. If you can extend your time on the water, you will be very happy you did.

Regarding diving out of Cairns/Port Douglas area vs Arlie Beach - no comparison in my eyes. Others may argue this, but diving is such a personal thing and I may see one thing as stunning while another diver may find it very pedestrian. Most of Cairns/Port Douglas reef areas are quite lovely - I might suggest you avoid Norman, Saxon, Hastings, Michalemas Reef areas as they are saturated with day boats and 1 night live-aboards. One of the nicest reef areas just off the coast but day boat only, is Agincourt Reef from Port Douglas.

Hope this helps and hope you are able to choose a live aboard - especially with a family, it is just a fantastic time with quality fun!

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor