We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quicksilver cruise

New Jersey
9 posts
Save Topic
Quicksilver cruise

Has anyone done the "Ocean walker" and/or helicopter ride with Quicksilver cruises? I do not know how to swim, so I'm kind of hesistant to go snorkeling. Quicksilver does offer a semi-sub, but if possible I would like to be in the water and the Ocean Walker does not require swimming. I also wanted to do the 10 min helicopter ride but do not know if it is worth it. Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quicksilver cruise

10 min is not near enough time to do the heli, and I know they have to 'move um in, move um out' - consider taking the chopper either to or from the platform and that will give you around a half hour. Usually the boat going to the reef is in the wind and chop, where as the trip home the wind is usually to your back and the ride is a bit smoother -so if you wish to choose one, look at shore to the reef.

Have done the semi sub and it is good if visibility is good. Otherwise a bit tough to see in the distance. Really good if the sun is shining brightly.

They have lots of vests etc so you may wish to give the water a try - you will be very boyant in salt water and combine that with a good life vest might be a good way for you to try the water - its really lovely once you get in.

Praslin Island...
Level Contributor
250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quicksilver cruise

Agree with BigfishLittlefish, the 10 minute flight is OK, but not enough time to enjoy the reef from the air. They also offer flights between Port Douglas - Reef. They are much better and they take you a little over the coastline and rainforest too. You get around 30 minutes out of it. Go for those ones.

Give the water a go, it is really worth. Get one of the vests or a boogie board and you will enjoy it.

Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quicksilver cruise

The semi-sub gives you a very good view, in my experience. We were there in June and were able to take three different rides. It appeared to me that you saw much more on the semi-sub than you would in the somewhat confined area in which you snorkle simply because the semi-sub went further from the pontoon and covered more territory. I didn't snorkle so I can't be certain.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quicksilver cruise

Did you guys have any opinon on Fly/Cruise or Cruise/Fly offered by quicksilver. we are in Cairns for only a day and our flight back to sydney is at 6.00 PM so we cannot take the full day outter reef trip. Any advice???

Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quicksilver cruise

Hi, Its better to do the Great Adventures cruise from Cairns as they have sea walker on Green Island (on the cruise you can combine a couple of hours on Green Island before heading out to the reef)and out at the reef they have the Scuba Doo an underwater scooter which is fantastic if you cant swim. Helicopter ride is very expensive but gives a beautiful look at the reef, only if its a clear day.

You will love it.

Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quicksilver cruise

You should definitely give snorkelling a go with a vest on. We went out on the Quicksilver cruise a few years back and my parents both ventured into the water, they don't swim but enjoyed the experience. There was a rope which went from the pontoon out to the reef, so you can hang on to that for extra security. But really, you can't go wrong with the vest, the snorkelling gear is odd at first but you get used to it quickly.