We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Topic
Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Hello,

This forum has been an amazing help for me to plan our trip & I'd love take advantage of everyones' wealth of knowledge!

We will be in Cairns mid-October for a few days. We plan on visiting the Kuranda Rainforest. Take the train up and the Skyrail back... We were thinking of attending the Tjapukai Night performance after we landed at the Caravonica terminal, which would be approx 5pm.

The problem is, the park closes at 5pm. Thus, we need to kill a couple of hours before the evening performance.

My question is, are there any activities near by? We're without a vehicle & would prefere not to pay for a shuttle into town, then back out.

Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!!

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Take a taxi to Trinity Beach, around oh, 10 minutes max, to a place called L'Unico Trattoria Italiano - here is the write up and details - GREAT waterfront place to a drink and a nibbly, or great dinner.

A stunning location on the Trinity Beach Esplanade, L'Unicois designed for diners to take advantage of their gorgeous surroundings... wide, open verandahs with large doors and windows. Playful and efficient staff marry a delicious array of interesting menu items. L'unico is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

cuisines: Contemporary, European, Italian

features: Bankcard, EFTPOS, Family Friendly, Licensed, Mastercard, Non-Smoking, Restaurant, Smoking, Visa

open: Daily from 12:00 to 23:00

Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Thanks for your suggestion BigFishLittleFish. I'm assuming that there will be a taxi stand or that I will be able to catch one easily at the Skyrail terminal. Let me know if this is wrong and how I would go about catching/getting one...

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

They are usually readily avail but if all else fails they will be more than happy to call one for you. Hope you like this little place - great atmosphere and great food - oh, guess I can't forget the views.

I had been thinking on the lines of Smithfield, but there is a ratty sports bar/pub and a pizza place, and thats about all. So to get something of quality a drive to one of the beach communities was the best idea.

Maybe someone else could post options?

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Take a taxi to Yorkeys Knob - the boat club and international marina - great place overlooking the sea - great place for a drink or three! I've spent a bit of time down there. They also have a courtesy coach - maybe you could take taxi to them and get the courtesy coach back to Tjapukai.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Co-incidentally we had lunch at L'Unico (a long one) after visiting Tjapukai with Canadian friends last week. It really is very good. If you're going to the night performance at Tjapukai you won't need feeding, though, since they do it there.

Another worthwhile alternative (well, for us anyway) is the go-carts which are about 3 minutes drive away towards Cairns from Tjapukai. They'll be open.

On another day last week us boys (2 of us in our 40s plus 3 teen and almost-teen sons) went racing whilst the girls and young ones painted boomerangs and faces at Tjapukai. Great fun and fantastic for getting the need for speed out of the system.

Other things very close by include the cable waterski park (ouch), AJ Hackett Bungy (aaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhh), and, as mentioned, mindless retail at Smithfield. Personally I'd go for a beer at Trinity Beach or the go carts.

Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there anything to do AROUND Caravonica terminal?

Thanks everyone for your replies & suggestions. I think after a long day, we'll end up heading to Trinity beach to relax & take in the views.

We are very much looking forward to our visit!!