We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Queensland Jan/Feb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Queensland Jan/Feb

Hi everyone,

Just have a couple of questions to ask...

1. When is it best to visit Port Douglas/Cairs during Jan and Feb? Should we leave it till the very end of Feb to try and dodge some rain? I have read it is the rainy season and stinger season up there during this time.

2. During stinger season, can you still go out to the reef for the day snorkling trips? Is it safe?

3. Rains - will the be constant for a few days or does it rain for a couple of hours then get sunny again?

4. Accommodation - Port Douglas [Hibiscus Gardens Spa Resort] or Cairns [The Lakes Cairns Resort and Spa]?? Both places are offering packages with breakfast and some tours for ~1500 7 nights.

I'm a little nervous about the time we have chosen to go now... :(

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer,

Ashley & Richard

Mentioned in this post
The Lakes Cairns Resort
The Lakes Cairns Resort
623 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Seabob Jet Australia - Reef Magic
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Perentie Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Praslin Island...
Level Contributor
250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Queensland Jan/Feb

Nov - May is considered the Wet Season in Tropical North Queensland (or Far North Queensland). It is very hot and humid during that time, however it does NOT mean that you have rain every day. It can be nice and sunny for days/weeks.

If you ask me, then go in January. The peak of the cyclone season is usually later in the season, often in March.

January is usually quiet and you will get great deals with the hotels (call them directly and get better deals than through travel agents or internet!!).

The stingers usually hang out around the main land and the beaches, however you will find other types of jelly fish on the reef. Yes, you can snorkel out on the reef and people say it is safe, however I would recommend to snorkel/dive only with a stinger/wet suit.

Me personally would stay in Port Douglas. I love the little town and the beautiful 4-mile-beach.

My favorite time always was the wet season. The area is much greener and fresher during summer. After all, it is the rain that gives that area its natural beauty!!

Enjoy your trip, you will love it no matter what the weather will be.