We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips in Cairns, Queensland

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
day trips in Cairns, Queensland

Hi anyone

Where is the best place to book your boat trips, hire a car, days out etc. in Cairns. I have a book of vouchers from Trailfinders but they are not bound to be the cheapest place to book, are they?

AdVice please!!!

Steve

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

Book with your hotel - they have heaps of brochures at their reception area, can give you expertise advice and make booking for you.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

many thanks auk

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

Hi Steve, there are a number of smaller car hire places along Sheridan Street in Cairns where you can pick up a standby rate bargin. Along the esplanade the tour booths are very competitive and often have specials in the evening for the next day. With respect to the previous post, booking by your hotel, while convienient, will not necessarily save you dollars as they generally work on higher commissions vs the booths which operate on volume. Booking direct with the operator can sometimes see a better deal, so a web search of the tours you are considering would be worthwhile, check the prices against your trailfinders vouchers and you will have a better idea of what to expect.

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

I do not agree with previous post regarding booking tours - your accommodation place gets a commission but the guests pays nothing extra than the brochure rate. Also sometimes the accommodation place gets a 2 for 1 deal or kids go free or book one trip and get a discount on another.

The places downtown in booths get higher commissions than what the accommodation places get plus they do not care on guests wants and needs first before making the booking.

I have stayed at a number of places between Cairns and Port Douglas and the accommodation places I have stayed at have been most helpful and offering expertise advice.

There are a number of rental car places along Sheridan Street but yet again, would suggest that you book with your accommodation place. If they are giving you a deal for accommodation then surely you could book your tours with them. Also some of the places along Sheridan Street you have to read the fine print, their insurance excess is far higher etc, etc.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

I did say with respect to your view, which you are entitled to AUK. My comments were directly related to the question of cost, of course all fineprint should be read and the option of excess reduction insurance considered if hiring a car, even from the multinationals. I still think the trailfinders vouchers may not be bad value, it's worth checking the retail tour costs on the web.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

definitely compare prices either one can be the cheapest on the day.To see what rates are like look at www.globalcars.com.au

Their rates include insurance.They are usually very competitive

also try www.driveaway.com.au

www.holidayautos.com.au

For an idea of tours and costs but not necessarily the cheapest try www.tropicalexperience.com.au

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

Thanks everyone

You've all been a great help.

Much appreciated.

Steve

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips in Cairns, Queensland

www.cairnsinfo.com is a local online agent and a popular website. They have some good specials and really helpful people to answer all questions.