We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in the rainforest?

Las Vegas, NV
5 posts
Wedding in the rainforest?

My fiance and I are trying to plan an Australian rainforest wedding all the way from the U.S. and are looking for some information to steer us in a direction of whether to do this in one of the Daintree resorts or in Port Douglas. Does anyone have any feedback on either location or a specific resort? Any info would be great!

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
1. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

I would steer more towards Daintree Resorts, as you you would have to travel to the rainforest from Port Douglas. Daintree Heritage Lodge would be really nice, as you would get your accommodation, and if you wanted your after wedding reception all at the same place. Also consider the Daintree Eco Lodge, and depending on your budget possibly Silky Oaks.

Personally I'd go for the Daintree Heritage Lodge. Hope this helps you with your planning.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
2. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

You have a lot of research to do. Some of the things you need to consider are:

1. Your budget - this will be a major factor.

2. Are any friends or family members going to come to the wedding, because it makes a big difference as to whether it is just the two of you or whether you have to accommodate wedding guests (including transport)?

3. Time of the year and the weather?

My son and his partner were married in July at the Cedar Park Rainforest Resort which was wonderful. We hired the whole place for the weekend - they have 6 guest rooms. We had 80 guests, family stayed at the Resort and we ferried other guests to and from Cairns in mini buses. The food was delicious (Swiss chef) and the whole wedding was fantastic. Bride and groom released Ulyses butterflies during the ceremony and there are resident kangaroos. The whole place is relaxed, informal and natural.

However, if it is just going to be yourselves and no other guests, it all depends on your budget and there are many options including those already mentioned above. I have also heard good things about Peppers Bloomfield Resort (but haven't been there). Places like Silky Oaks, Thala Beach Resort are all lovely, but then if you want more varied nightlife you would be better at Port Douglas.

You need to do a lot of 'googling' and research and work out exactly what kind of wedding you want and what time of the year. It can be very cool at night in some areas towards the tablelands between June and August and then very hot and humid (especially closer to the coast) between November and April.

Also, think about what else you want to do while you are here. Do you just want to get married and relax in a Rainforest Resort, or do you want to go snorkelling/diving etc.? You may even want to consider somewhere like Lizard Island - but a lot depends on your budget.

Las Vegas, NV
5 posts
3. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

Thanks for the feedback! I am definitely considering either Daintree Ecolodge or Silky Oaks Lodge. It would be just the two of us. Is one resort better than the other?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
4. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

Hi VA

Silky Oaks Lodge is located on the banks of the Mossman River. It is really a unique rainforest setting and very spectacular if looking for that wow factor in a rainforest.

They can organise everything for you.

Daintree Eco Lodge is located near the Daintree township. Receives many awards for they day spa treatments, but I don't think the setting is as great as Silky Oaks.

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
5. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

Hi

I with travelport on Silky Oaks over Eco Lodge, both places are nice, but Silky definetly has more Rainforest, and their restaruant has a spectacular view over the Mossman River. Silky Oakes is more handy also if you want a hairdresser to come out and do your hair & makeup.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
6. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

Haven't personally been to Daintree Eco Lodge, but have been to Silky Oaks a few times for lunch and afternoon coffee. Friends stayed there recently and loved it. It is very nice - also nice swimming pool area. Restaurant in fantastic location overlooking water. If you hired a car you could easily visit the Daintree area and also south to Mosman and Port Douglas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

I stayed at Cockatoo Hill Retreat in the daintree. A small romantic boutique resort. Not sure if they could do a wedding, but you may consider staying a few nights in their beautiful treehouses. Check out the reviews and their website.

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
8. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

Hi,

If you would like to know more about Silky Oakes, visit the web site www.voyages.com.au. It will give more information on their wedding packages.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

For a church wedding there's a charming old church on the beachfront at Port Douglas. See portdouglasweddings.com.au.

western australia
1 post
10. Re: Wedding in the rainforest?

Hi

we have a wedding booked for May next year at Cockatoo Hill Retreat, (just the 2 of us) have not been there before but we did plenty of research and this place has had plenty of good reviews.

Christine

Western Australia