We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quicksilver an OK choice for day on outer reef?

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
288 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Quicksilver an OK choice for day on outer reef?

Hi, my boyfriend and I will be arriving in Cairns in early December. One of the things we want/definitely need to do is see the outer reef.

I'm a snorkeling junkie. However, the boyfriend, though loving marine life, has a lingering fear of water from childhood and is not a good swimmer.

I think Quicksilver will be a good compromise for us; I'll get to go snorkelling while he can see the wildlife "without getting his feet wet." The boat seems large enough to keep him from being seasick.

However, I saw the number of people they take out, and I'm concerned that I won't enjoy the trip due to the water being overcrowded or the wildlife being scared/harmed by so many travelers. Is this the case, or do they handle the crowd well enough that you get to see some of everything?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Seabob Jet Australia - Reef Magic
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Falla Reef Trips
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Dive 7 Seas
Scuba & Snorkeling
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quicksilver an OK choice for day on outer reef?

I've done the Quicksilver thing three times now. The first time was on the larger boat that goes out to the floating pontoon and I didn't enjoy it at all. That was my first time out to the reef and the seas were very rough. We and a lot of other people did get sick. There was a ton of people.

The second and third time I went out on the Silverswift. I much preferred that. The boat is a small catamaran style and leaves directly from Cairns so there's no need to transfer to Port Douglas. There are less people on the boat, the boat is newer, and they take you to three different sites to check out.

Some people still get sick, but I didn't these last two times. It all depends on the person and most of the time I fall asleep for the ride out and back as it does take a good hour (or more).

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quicksilver an OK choice for day on outer reef?

I've been out on the big Quicksilver boat to Agincourt Reef and had a wonderful day!

Lots of options for a non-swimmer and if you have the budget definitely take the optional helicopter flight from the pontoon. The view is amazing and gives you a totally different perspective of the reef.

It is a big boat but once you reach the pontoon people disperse amongst the various activities. At no stage during the day did I feel overcrowded, or that there were too many people in the water. It certainly didn't detract from my snorkelling experience.

I think Quicksilver does a fantastic job at managing that number of people in a sensitive way. And the abundant wildlife is definitely not bothered by the visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Agincourt Reef
Agincourt Reef
969 Reviews
Port Douglas, Australia
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quicksilver an OK choice for day on outer reef?

Hi fluff_astrid

You might also like Reef Magic which also goes to a pontoon (so your boyfriend is catered for), but takes a lot less people than Quicksilver and also leaves directly from Cairns.

http://www.reefmagic.com.au/

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
4. Re: Quicksilver an OK choice for day on outer reef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 13, 2009