We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Mossman to Atherton? (approximate)

I know Mossman -> PD (15mins)

PD-> Palm Cove(30mins)

Palm Cove -> Kuranda (?)

Kuranda->Atherton (1hr)

Looks like its 2 hrs +

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

Hi Springrose

When my husband and I go to Atherton, it generally takes us approx 1 1/2 hrs. It takes us 45mins from Mossman to Mareeba, then about 30-40 mins to Atherton. This is staying to the speed limit. Palm cove to Kuranda should take you about 45mins - 1 hr. On the moment due to the large amount of tourist traffic on the highway between Mossman to Cairns, we allow 1-1.20hrs to get to Palm Cove.

So on the moment, allow extra time, last week it took me on average 1/2 hr to get to work in Port Douglas from mossman. Mainly due to the amount of slower traffic.

Hope this helps you.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

wow 45min mossman to mareeba sounds good goinG? Are you going the coast road or the inland way? Looking at the OPs towns, he seems to be going the coast down to Palm Cove, onto Smithfield and then up to Kuranda and if that's the case I would say Palm Cove to Kuranda and then Kuranda to Mareeba is at least 45min in itself ??

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

Oh, didn't realize I could drive mossman-> mareeba via passing Lake Mitchell (inland). Can a normal car take that path (any gravel...)? Just double checking

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

Hi Springrose,

It is a sealed road all the way to Atherton. no gravel unless there is road works.Which there is none of that I know at present.

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

To Burlof,

No I'm a lady, and when I go to visit the Yungaburra Markets I take the Rex Range Road just south of Mossman, and go onto the tablelands that way. I stick to the speed limit as well, as I often take my young children & sister-in-law with her little one and baby as well. We get to Mareeba in around 45mins. As I know the road and know what to expect. My mother who lives in Julatten 20mins drive from Mossman, goes regularly to Mareeba, it takes her around 30mins, she drives at 80klms. Sticking to the speedlimit, it is easly do able in 45mins. If I was to go the coast road I would allow nearly 2hrs. to do the trip.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

yes that's what I thought truelocal that you must be going in the inland road but the original poster was assuming he/she had to go via the coastal road which would take a lot longer. I think it took me 30-45min to drive Smithfield > Mareeba

7. Re: Drive time between Atherton and Mossman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 06, 2009