We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go

new york
2 posts
Save Topic
where to go

hello all, my girlfriend and i will be going to cairns in october for about two weeks and are looking for some direction. i have heard that i should skip cairns and go to port douglas for the reef. is this true? we're just looking to relax by the beach in relative privacy for not too much money. we were also thinking of renting an apartment (on the beach?) and doing our own cooking, is this worth it? also, we don't really want to go stay in a big city concidering we are trying to escape from new york for a while! so a beach vibe is what we're looking for. any advise would be greatly appreciated as we have no travel experience in that part o the globe. thanks very much!!!!!!!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: where to go

Hello,

If you are just looking to relax by the beach in relative privacy I would definately recommend Palm Cove - it's a beautiful place.

I would also suggest renting a car and driving up to Port Douglas (45 mins) or in the other direction to Cairns (15mins) and checking out both those places.

Also visit www.breakfree.com.au - all their resorts have self contained apartments with fully equipped kitchens. There's a few in Port Douglas, one in Palm Cove, and two resorts on the Esplanade in Cairns - all reasonably priced.

Cairns, Port Douglas etc are a world away from New York - definately no big cities here! I'm sure you will have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
New York
New York
United States