We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

Hello, family of 4 - children ages 10 and 7 going to GBR for first time. We are splitting our stay between Cairns and Port Douglas. I had been planning on doing the outer reef from Port on Quicksilver and it looked like a great, well-run day with plenty of activities for our family.

However, now I've found that we could go with Great Adventures out of Cairns instead and include a stop on Green Island. While I know Green Island isn't as good as the outer reef, I figure it would be a bonus to see someplace extra.

My question is: Is Great Adventures as good, well-run, modern, as full of activities as Quicksilver? We just don't want to be disappointed. Is Quicksilver's snorkelling site better than Great Adventures?

One other question: We are also considering going with Quicksilver to Low Isles as a second day trip. Any opinions from anyone who has done this?

Thank you so much for your advice.

SA
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

Reef Magic is a fantastic trip. Got our accommodation to book for us as they get a weather report etc. Get more hours on the reef than Quicksiliver and Great Adventures. Great Adventures and Quicksilver take over 300 guests - Reef Magic take only max 140. More personalised and certainly not crowded. Suggest you wait until you get to your accommodaton to book.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

Thank you for your reply. I'll add Reef Magic to the list of tours to consider and do a bit of research.

Anyone else with thoughts/suggestions on this topic?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

We've just got back from Cairns and we heard (on the grapevine) that Quicksilver now own Great Adventures anyway - so they are probably going to be much the same.

We have done lots of trips to the reef etc., but we prefer much smaller boats. Bit different for you with the two young ones.

Haven't been to Green Island for years, but have enjoyed a couple of trips to Low Isles in recent times. Personally, I don't think you need to go to the reef more than once - it will be an expensive experience with the 4 of you and there are plenty of other things to do. Low Isles is just a small sand island - the kids would probably have a better time exploring other beaches along the coast. We did do a trip on Ocean Spirit last year that included Michaelmas Cay - this island is more interesting as it is a bird sanctuary.

Another trip we have planned to do is the Frankland Islands. This might be a good one for you too.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

Thanks, you've given me a couple more ideas to explore. I really appreciate both of you taking the time to post

Less than 2 months to go now and very excited!

Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

QuickSilver group indeed does now own GreatAdventures.

We went with GreatAdventures to Green Island and Outer reef in December last year on the day trip you mention.

we LOVED IT. Green Island was really nice, there were heaps of native birds that wandered around your feet. there was snorkelling from the beach, a small underwater observatory, where we saw plenty of fish, nice food, and a nice relaxing pool area.

you arent there for a long time, its just enough to wander around the island. and relax for a while before you board the boat for the outer reef.

once at the outer reef, the pontoon is plenty big enough. there were admitedly only about 180 people on our trip, but once you were in the water snorkelling, you barely noticed the others, and at any one time, there NEVER seemed to be too many people in the water.

they have an underwater observatory on the pontoon, semi submerisible trips every twenty minutes, guided snorkelling tours, and more.

we snorkelled for about 1.5 hours in a couple of bursts, with some food in between.

I would HIGHLY recommend it. it was a great trip, excellent, friendly staff, good reef with plenty of fish. we also saw a sea turtle swimming by us while snorkelling!

I have heard Quicksilver goes to a better reef, but personally, i thought the combination with Green Island was ideal, and if you are not a seasoned snorkeller, there are plenty of fish and corals etc to keep you fascinated with Great Adventures. and with kids, i would highly recommend the trip as they would love the pool and swimming at Green island.

6. Re: Is Great Adventures as good as Quicksilver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 29, 2009