We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Hi I'm planning a trip to visit cairns. We will be traveling:-

CAIRNS 23/10/18 - 13/11/18

SYDNEY 13/11/18 - 19/11/18

MELBOURNE 19/11/18 - 23/11/18

I'm a bit stuck on some stuff to do while we are in cairns, we will be mainly around trinity beach but happy to travel in a car.

The stuff I've seen that I would already like to do are the great bara reef and hot air balloon ride.

We like to stay away from all these group tourist day out things. If someone could recommend some hidden gems it would be great!

Both me and my boyfriend are 25-29 years of age. Both love live music, great food and nature But open to many suggestions. Also any other suggestions while we are in the other city's are welcome too!

Thank you.

Emily x

10 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

You need to understand that in late October, early November, the risk of deadly stingers in the FNQ coastal waters is a real thing, as are crocodiles. You have a really nice amount of time in the area, but you dont want to spend it all based in Trinity Beach. Stay a coulle of nights in the Daintree, and also take a road trip through Atherton Tablelands and out to Chillagoe Caves (book the cave tours a few daysahead of time). When at the beach, do not go on the beach at night, and do not swim without stinger suits. Make sure your accom has a pool - you will need it.

Cheers.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Hi Emily,

I'm a bit confused by the way you have split your time up for your 3 destinations. 3 whelks is quite a long time to be in. Air s especially as you only know of 2 things you want to do there and only one of them is unique to that area (you could do no to air ballooning other places too).

So when you decided to split your trip up like this, what were you thinking it would be like?

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm interrogating you, it's just if I understand what you envisionaged, I can better help you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

I am planning a 3 day trip (flying from Sydney) to Cairns/PD (flying to Melbourne) so I can see the reef and dive. I do not have a scuba driving certificate. From what I had heard before, I was told to stay in PD but since I won't have a car so I should probably stay in Cairns. I also wanted to know what I can do there in 3 days and I have some questions that I need help:

1. Where should I stay? (budget accommodation which is safe place for a young woman)

2. Can I dive without the certification? If so, any recommendations on the tours and do I need to book these before hand?

3. How do I get to the town (hotel) from the airport?

4. Is there good public transport in PD and Cairns, and how does one conmmute between the two?

5. Should I stay more than 3 days? I am not sure what else is there to see.

6. For the Reef snorkeling tour, I heard Wavelength is good but they are in PD, do they pick u and drop off from Cairns?

7. Are tgere any recommendations from scooba diving tours? I was going to finish snorkeling and diving the same day so I don't have to go back to the reef again!

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited: 12:31 pm, September 17, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Kristyrad

For goodness sake, please read "Top Questions about Cairns" on the right hand side of your screen (desktop or laptop) and stop asking the same questions on other people's threads. Most of the questions you ask have already been answered.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

I'm visiting my dad and his girlfriend otherwise I'd spread my time out equally. They are just rough dates to go by, i can add/take some days on each trip, but I will be spending most of my time in cairns (should have mentioned, sorry)

I think our plan is:-

Luckily I've had a chat with my dad and he said he has the whole cairns thing covered! So I don't need to worry about that part now.

We're not planning on going in the water expect for the great barra reef. Is it still an issue with stingers?

And yes were staying at his place and they have a pool!

I was thinking about a daintree lodge stay for a couple of nights with just me and my boyfriend.

Edited: 12:09 pm, September 24, 2017
Cairns
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Stingers not much of an issue on the outer reef. More of a danger at the beaches and islands... but no guarantees :)

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Choose the right tour operator and they will provide stinger suits like Seastar cruises.

Things to see in Sydney, Sea life aquarium or Manly Sea Life Sanctuary, Sydney Tower Eye, Taronga Zoo, the Bridge climb, visit China town, swim/surf at Bondi or Manly beach.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,671 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Hi,

There isn't a great deal to do in Cairns itself unless you are there on business or need to visit one of the government offices.

It is however a base for many tours to locations on the outer reef, inland, hinterland and World Heritage Wet Tropics rainforest as well as attractions such as zoos and activities such as croc excursions. However all will be well patronised, the hidden gems aren't to be found within easy reach of a tourist hub.

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in cairns πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

A two hour drive south is Paronella Park

Also a drive moderate drive south are

Undara lava tubes

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor