We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns in April

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Cairns in April

Family are coming over from the UK in April and will have about 3 days in Cairns in the middle of the month. Not the ideal time of year I know, so would be very grateful for advice as to what's worth doing (and avoiding!) at this time of year. Snorkelling on the reef, and a Daintree trip would be top of their list if possible. Will be staying in a hotel in Cairns, not at one of the beach resorts.

Thanks everyone.

Melbourne
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns in April

Kuranda Railway and Skyrail are both "all weather options"- just take an umbrella! Check road conditions and the Daintree is possible. It's still a great trip when it rains. Snorkling depends on the day to day weather forecast so don't book ahead. Breakfast with the Birds at Port Douglas is a really nice thing to do and of course trips to Mossman Gorge, Copello Dam, Lake Barine and Babinda are great easy trips.

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns in April

The only thing to avoid that time of year is swimming in open ocean as stingers still running, apart from that pot luck as to how much rain you will get (which could well be none). Unless floods or somesuch snorkelling and Daintree should both be goers and you will avoid the crowds and see NQ at its greenest

Cheers skip

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns in April

Many thanks for the advice. For bonus marks, any thoughts as to whether it's best to book the trips in advance or just rock up on the day? My preference would be to not book in advance and then see what the weather's doing on the day, but obviously wouldn't want to miss out by not having booked. Of course, the tour companies recommend booking in advance...

London
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns in April

As trips (esp to Cape Trip/Daintree) often start at 7am you'll need to book the night ahead, but you could decide late afternoon day before.

For Kuranda with gondola/railway that time of year you can just rock up.

Weather is fine that time, my family visted me when we lived there. The day we went to Green Island was really warm but another day sitting by the pool was just a little cold (mind you I was acclimatised by then) although family found it fine.

Kent England
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns in April

when do you think is the best time of year to visit cairns?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns in April

Three days isn't long - unless you actually have the full 3 days you will be hard pressed to fit much in. I think you'll find the weather won't be too bad - we spent March in Cairns and found there was a good assortment - rain/sun/beautiful mornings etc. Please note that the Kuranda Rail has closed due to rock slide and won't open again until after 1s May sometime. I would maybe do the Daintree trip/Port Douglas on the first day - you don't say whether you will have a car - or whether you need to book tours. Hartley's Crocodile Farm is a good stop on the way up, so is Rainforest Habitat at Port Douglas. If you get to the Daintree Village for lunch - go to the Teahouse Restaurant before you get into the Village - it is a great location and excellent barramundi lunch.

Second day - morning at leisure, walk the Cairns esplanade, explore a little - then take a drive to Copperlode Dam (fantastic views of Cairns) - will probably be raining on the mountain, but there is a great kiosk overlooking the beautiful dam where you can have cafe-style lunch/coffees etc. Is a great rainforest drive. You may fit in Baron Gorge as well.

Third day do Reef trip from Cairns.

7. Re: Cairns in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 29, 2009