We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning

Ocean Grove, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning

This is to be a very special graduation trip for my 21 year old daughter (and myself). My daughter plans to be a marine biologist and so GBR is a very important component of this trip as is getting close to wildlife.

We've already booked our Sydney leg... a week there at the Marriott courtesy of Marriott points. We arrive in Cairns on June 21 07 and need some advice. We need to leave by July 2nd at the latest.

Here are some of the things we are considering:

Staying in Port Douglas for a couple of days so we can visit Daintree, ( mangrove river trip) do some canopy surfing, have breakfast with the birds, take a day snorkeling with WaveLength, and maybe see the sunday market.

Have I missed anything we should add here?

Then off to Cairns so we can take a 2 day live aboard for her to dive especially at night, (Reef Encounter?), a day trip to Kuranda, a day trip to Green Island for snorkeling, a day rafting on the Tully, a visit to Batreach, the flying fox hospital and thensome wildlife tours with platypus and some other native wildlife. Have we missed anything here?

We need to know :

- am I planning too much?

- where to stay in PD and Cairns?

- should I rent a car?

- recommendations on anything you think will make this the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks

Carol

Barefoot Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Uncle Brian's Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours
Reef Teach
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wait-a-While Rainforest Tours
Private Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours
Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning

I'd cut green island out if you want to go snorkelling go to one of the small reefs that are used by the boat companies. \my dad and \i went snorkelling at Green Island and had to wade 100 m out before we even saw a fish. On the other hand my husband and sons went out with reef encounter and had a ball. I'd rent a car if I were you, perhaps with a navi system. kuranda usually opens at 10 and closes at 4. We took the skyrail there and train back. We usually stay at the lakes cairns resort and spa. Beautiful place.

Ocean Grove, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning

Thanks.. Green Island is now off our list... where did you stay?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning

Do you think your daughter would like to see a platypus? While staying at the On the Wallaby hostel in Yungaburra on the Atherton tablelands (very nice, looks like a ski lodge inside), you can go on a free platypus spotting trip in the evening. They take you in a minibus to the river, and you sit quietly and wait for them to pop up for a few seconds at a time. Also, I went night canoing there, which was very fun. We had huge powerful torches, and looked in the trees for tree kangaroos. A platypus popped up in between the canoes. It was excellent. If you don't have a car, I would recommend booking on the one night On the Wallaby tour, which takes you from Cairns and includes swimming in waterfalls, and seeing a massive strangler fig. It was one of the best tours I have taken.

I've reviewed the hostel, so you can have a look at that review.

Ocean Grove, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning

Thank you so much I have added this to our time their we'll do an overnight. I also have added the Yongalo Wreck as a dive for my daughter.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning

Hooray! Have fun. When you're in Yungaburra there are some nice little shops. There's a fun one attached to the Swiss restaurant (yes, a Swiss restaurant in an Australian village!).

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning

Also enjoyable in Cape Tribulation was the night walk from Crocodylus hostel led by a real character called Possum. He took us around the close by rainforest and showed us all different types of spiders, and plants. It was very informative. My favourite was the web casting spider, which is apparently very rare. I think you can book onto this tour without staying at the hostel.

The hostel was fascinating to stay in, but the forest has been hard o the accommodation. It is located properly in the rainforest. I saw a cassowary (enormous bird) and all sorts of interesting wildlife snuffling around, and you can really feel the forest pulsing around you. It was very cool, and when i was there the food was very good. I guess it would depend upon what type of accommodation you prefer, and whether you are able to trade off a place being tatty with the very special location.

7. Re: Need help planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 27, 2009