We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine Coast Gems

Bridgnorth...
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Sunshine Coast Gems

As an Australia 'virgin', I'm looking to visit (hopefully) in mid November 2007, but am worried that 'Schoolies' might take some of the sparkle off the gems.

Can any experienced visitors/locals provide me with locations that may escape the attention of the hordes, so that I can properly enjoy what seems to be a wonderful area.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Jerry O'Reilly

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

Well for starters, definitely stay away from Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast!

australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

Hi, We stayed in Moolooaba on the Sunshine Coast in Novemeber last year, because we wanted to avoid the Gold Coast and Byron Bay, but ALAS!!! There were plenty of schoolies around Mooloolaba too.

Also Noosa is crawling with them. And if you are a schoolie and reading this, dont take offence, I used to be you too and wish you all the fun in the world, BUT dont particularly want to be exposed to the screams and giggles and swearing and naked buts in broad daylight around my kids.

I have heard that the best place to go on the Sunshine Coast (apart from the hinterland) is Noosaville. It's only 5 minutes from the Surf beaches of Noosa but is based on the beautiful river instead. It has the shops (a new shopping centre nearby is particularly impressive), restaurants, beautiful swimming spots (Pelican Beach is like a huge lagoon style swimming pool - but a beach!), parks and a good position to do the hinterland tours too!!

We loved our stay there and have booked again for next year. We stayed in December, mostly couples (old and young alike) and families. No young ones to be seen, if you know what I mean.

We stayed at Sunset Cove Resort and loved it (heated pool, spa and sauna) and awesome management. (see review), but there are lots of other choices too. "Google" Noosaville Accommodation and you will see what I mean.

Have fun!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

the schoolies are pretty much based around the beaches... maybe try going inland and staying at montville or one of the other hinterland towns. if you have a hire car you can then do day trips to the beach but also enjoy all the wonderful things to seee and do that are not on the main tourist drag.

australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

Hinterland is a good idea, but if you prefer the beaches, then Noosaville has no surf, thus lacking in schoolies.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

They are not so much a problem on the Sunshine Coast, Noosa and Mooloolaba are the main areas for schoolies, don't be put off, you will still have a good time, suggest you stay somewhere along the Noosa river as it may be a bi quieter.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

Depending on how long you're planning to stay, consider renting a house at one of the beaches between Coolum and Noosa. Peregian, Sunrise, Sunshine are all great beaches. These beaches are little exposed and can get a bit rough, but they're definitely quieter - less night life. Schoolies hang out where there are clubs, beaches and shops.

Coolum is a great beach and could also be a good option. There is also Twin Waters Resort which has hotel rooms and houses looking over the lagoon which is delightful and a stroll across the main road to the beach. I think the houses are independently owned and may not be linked to the resort itself.

I would stay clear of Maroochydore, Alexandra Headlands, Moolooaba and Caloundra.

I agree with the areas about considering inland - Maleny, Montville (these are west of Caloundra), Buderim (the mountain near Maroochydore and Alex. Headlands) & Eumundi (west of Noosa).

Hope this helps.

Bridgnorth...
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

Thank you to all you contributors. Plenty of good selections by the sound of it. Need to start getting sorted.

Thanks again. Hope you all enjoy your own holidays in the forthcoming year.

Jerry

8. Re: Sunshine Coast Gems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 pm, August 25, 2009