We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to swim?

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to swim?

I will be in the Brisbane area the first two weeks in January. Can you give me an idea of beaches where it is safe to swim?

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to swim?

No beach in Brisbane, Sorry. Unless you count the man made beach on the river at South Bank.

I would strongly suggest you head an hour north to the Sunshine Coast (Caloundra, Mooloolaba, Maroochydore, Noosa) or an hour south to the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, Mermaid Beach, Nobby Beach, Burleigh Heads, Coolangatta) where you will find an abundance of safe, fantastic swimming beaches.

All of which are generally well patrolled by life guards at that time of year.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to swim?

Agree with everything that Firebucket said, but please do swim only in the patrolled areas designated by the flags put up by the surf lifesavers. It's common to hear of tourists drowning in the surf ... outside the patrolled areas.

Coming from Spokane you'll see a big diffrence from your home. Went through Spokane about 6 years ago, lovely place.

Have a great trip.

3. Re: Safe to swim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 21, 2009