We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane short visit

Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane short visit

Hi there,

We (2 pp) will arrive Brisbane Airport domestic terminal at 11:00 a.m. and will fly to Cairns departing 9 p.m. We have a carry on and a check bag. We wish to spend few hours at Brisbane to have a short visits. We need some advice on the following:

1/ baggage storage

2/ suggestions where to go

3/ transport recommendation to these suggestions (safe, efficient & reasonable price)

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane short visit

I think the best option for travel would be the air train as it goes into the cbd

http://www.airtrain.com.au/

I always recommend catching a city cat to get a nice view of brissie and you can catch from a few spots in Brisbane

…qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transpo…

otherwise you could wander around Queen st and the shops in there :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane short visit

I agree. AirTran into City and then city cat. You can do a few stops depending on your interests. Eg museum, art gallery, science centre, new farm park, activities at kangaroo point cliffs, climbing story bridge or visiting city. Not sure on luggage storage. Not sure if there's luggage storage at airport. I don't recall seeing it.

Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane short visit

There are lockers at the domestic airport terminal and the skygate shopping precinct operated by the airport corporation 5 mins from the airport. It has numerous "outlet" stores with discounted clothing, luggage, Manchester, homewards etc. I wouldn't go to the CBS to do shopping if my time was that limited - go to skygate.

bUT I'd catch the sky train to south bank and spend time in the gardens/pool, GOMA, museum or science centre.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane short visit

Good suggestions above. I would just add that you should make sure the air train is running. On my trip from the airport into the city there was a canceled train and I had to wait 49 minutes for a train. On my return journey I arrived at central station to discover track works and rail replacement buses, which added over an hour to my journey. For such a short time frame I would be tempted to take a taxi - it cost me $45 from airport to CBD.

Abs :)

Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane short visit

Hi all,

Appreciate all for the reply:=))

We are thinking of: "taking a taxi to Hamilton to ride the ferry and then return from CBD via Airtrain or vice versa"

1/ which way will save more time? River has upstream or downstream....

2/ which stop of the ferry that we should get on/off for the "museum, art gallery, science centre, new farm park, activities at kangaroo point cliffs, climbing story bridge or visiting city"

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisbane short visit

Here's a link to a map of the Citycat stops ... the blue line is the one you want, Bretts Wharf is the Hamilton stop.

You'll notice all those things you list are quite a way from each other. If you get off at Southbank 1-2 the city is a 5 min walk across the bridge ... the cliffs are to the east (you will have passed them) and the Story Bridge is right there. New Farm Park is 10 mins before Southbank ... I'm not sure you will have time. By the way, there is no Science Centre. You can get the airport train back to the airport from Southbank or either city railway station.

brisbaneferries.com.au/uploads/Timetables/Ne…

Edited: 1:55 am, July 24, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisbane short visit

Edit ... should have said there's no time difference which way you travel, it's the same route.

8. Re: Brisbane short visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 26, 2015