We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Lorikeets?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rainbow Lorikeets?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was watching a DVD 'Wild Australia' about Australian wildlife.

It came to a bit where there were some Rainbow Lorikeets in a park in Brisbane, and people were feeding them nectar from bowls. It looked like a park somewhere, but has anyone any idea where this is please?

Seoul, Korea
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

We just returned from Brisbane, and yes, that park was one of the huge highlights of our visit. It was the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary (www.currumbin-sanctuary.org.au). Well worth the visit. Some advice though... Pack a lunch for you and your family...the prices for food inside the park are insane (Burger, chips, and a soda was over 12 AUD each!) As well, we found a discount coupon (10-15% off admission) either online or in the local brochures, so that cut some money off the entrance fees too.

If I remember correctly, the feeding of the Lorikeets goes from 0800 - 0930 AM and then rather late in the afternoon, so get there right when the park opens if you want to be part of the feeding. Also beware, if you are feeding them, they will land on your arms and scratch you up a bit while eating, so while it may look nice for a camera shot, you may have some small cuts to deal with for the rest of the day. We saw one woman that had over 50 small cuts on her arms, and she was not pleased. (Maybe bring a small windbreaker for the first few minutes of your visit.)

As well, the outside "up close" shows (Bird, Snake, etc.) have all been shortened due to the summer heat, so we were slightly dissapointed when we only got to see 3 birds in a matter of 10 minutes, and then they said the show was over.

If you have kids, ride the train to your heart's content...its Free and it goes all around the park over and over again. My 20 month old sadly remembers the train more than the other animals, but hey, she was so happy...the camera shots were priceless.

Make sure you see the croc feedings (0930ish?) and of course, feed the Kangaroos up close.

All in all, you will love the park.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Thanks very much for that Binkorea.

It does sound lovely,

Tiawamutu

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Does anyone know roughly how far the sanctuary is from Gold Coast? (Broad beach area)

Thanks

Tiawamutu

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Does anyone know roughly how far the sanctuary is from Gold Coast? (Broad beach area)

Thanks

Tiawamutu

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Sorry for duplicate post

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Currumbin is actually part of the Gold Coast. It's towards the southern end about a half hour in good traffic from Surfers. The local bus also runs down to the sanctuary but I'm not sure about how long it takes

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Thanks for that Guru'swife....

Only four days to go til I set of for Australia! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets?

Went to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, and fed the Rainbow Lorikeets! :D

What an experience!!!! Brought tears to my ears, and a lump in my throat.....

Highly recommend it....Even held a koala and a baby croc!!! :)

Thanks for your help everyone :)