We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

Hello:

We (husband/wife in late 40s) will be returning from a cruise at the Brisbane port. We would like to stay in the area for 2 nights before flying home to the USA.

We like nature, marine life, beaches, and hikes.

I am trying to figure out where to stay. If I stay in Brisbane CBD is it easy to day trip to a beach/marine life tour? Does it make sense to grab a hotel near the Brisbane airport for a base? (It looks close to the ferries.)

It looks like many of the tourist activities in the Brisbane area are 30-90 minutes away so I am not seeing a compelling reason to stay in Brisbane CBD. Am I missing something?

The North Strandbroke and Moreton Islands look like good places. Are they a day trip or should I look into staying on the islands.

We will have been backpacking prior to the cruise so we are okay with backpacker style accommodation. Our budget would be $100AUD. We could stretch a bit for a great location.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Kangaroo Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, City Tours
Riverlife Adventure Centre
Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Climbing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Mirimar Cruises
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

We also like to attend sporting events. Please forgive me for not being familiar with the seasons but if there is a sporting event in mid-April we would be very interested. Thanks.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

One additional detail. Our cruise ship docks at Portside Warf, Hamilton.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,612 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

<< We like nature, marine life, beaches, and hikes.>> ... North Stradbroke Is would fit perfectly however bushfires (wildfires) have just swept through the island so a bit more research may be needed. Noosa might be an area that interests you also ... http://www.visitnoosa.com.au/ ...

Brisbane is fine for a couple of days but the interests you mention obviously are not available in a city and you would have to travel some distance.

The only big sporting event I can think of is the Super Rugby ... http://www.redsrugby.com.au/ .. I am not a big sports fan so am not up on current events.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

If you based yourself in the city or even airport area this is a pretty central location to be to do activities within your interests.

I would highly recommend a day trip to Moreton island, check out their website for more info, you could look at staying a night here as you have an opportunity to feed wild dolphins of a night time.

Also maybe a visit to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary or even Australia Zoo? There will be tour operators that offer shuttles to these destinations.

Use wotif.com.au to search for accommodation within your budget.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

The beaches of Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast are also beautiful (but not as secluded as Moreton Island).

6. Re: Returning from cruise - 2 nights in Brisbane - activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 12, 2015