We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody has any advice about hiring a Wicked 4WD (not the vans, specifically the 4WDs for offroading).

We are looking to drive Broome to Perth mid next year stopping at Karijini NP and Steep Point and we want a reliable 4WD to cover the distance. Wicked are about $1100-1500 cheaper than the other companies.

Any words of wisdom?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

"Any words of wisdom?"

I can think of one ie. don't

but use the search function on this site for some info.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

Thanks. I was hoping that all the bad reviews were just about the vans and that the 4wds were newer/better maintained. Always the optimist!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

don't take my word for it however.....do the research.

I just think the company culture makes them one to avoid.

when I see a wicked van parked anywhere around here the first reaction is that it's an abandoned vehicle.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

There's several good reasons why they are cheaper. None of them are positive.

I agree with lien - do your research thoroughly before you book and decide if it's really worth the savings.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

It's been almost 12 months but I wanted to provide some feedback on my experience with Wicked. We ended up hiring a car with a rooftop tent for 2 weeks in June for ~$3800, at least $1K cheaper than with any other company. We elected to go with the all inclusive insurance option which is why the price looks high for wicked.

We were given an almost new Rav 4 with less than 45000km. The car was automatic (although we were given the option of manual) and it was certainly not a 4WD as advertised. This was fine for our purposes and we were very happy with the car. We traveled 4000km and never had any mechanical issues, not even a flat tyre. The car was comfortable, spacious, and well equipped. We did return it with a chip in the windscreen (thanks to a roadtrain) but this was fully covered by the insurance.

My only issue with Wicked was the booking service. They are very quick to respond to you to get the booking, but once it is locked in, it is very hard to get hold of someone, even just to confirm your booking. However, the guy at the Broome depot was fabulous. He had a car ready for our arrival which was unfortunately manual despite repeated attempts to confirm we would have an automatic. He allocated us a new car with no argument, washed it, and topped up all the fluids while we waited. He showed us how to open and pack away the rooftop tent and made sure all the bolts were tight.

Overall, a pretty good experience except with the booking service. I would use them again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

Thanks for the review Katee. What slogan (if any) did the van have on it?

7. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:07 pm, August 03, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

Actually we did have slogans. One said something like "some people feel the rain, others just get wet" and the other said "women are like modern paintings. You can't enjoy them if you try to understand them".

They were less offensive than we expected and we certainly saw some others on the road that we were glad weren't on our car!

We didn't actually see any of the vans in WA. They were all new cars (rav 4s, sedans, hatchbacks).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

Oh so sorry - but I have seen lots of Wicked Ravs around with rooftop tents and they did not have slogans- so I assumed - as one never should!!!

10. Re: Wicked 4WD Hire - reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 05, 2015