We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Hi all,

My fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon for mid October 2014 and as it's our first trip to Oz we would really welcome any advice!

As part of the trip we would really like to do a campervan trip or drive/stay in cabins. Can anyone advise on whether the route between Cairns/Brisbane or Brisbane/Sydney is better (in terms of the scenery, ease of driving, quality of caravan sites)?

We would love to be able to see a bit of the coast and stop off easily along the way at caravan sites. We quite like the idea of smaller, beach front sites that aren't too busy - are these likely to be found on these routes at this time of year?

Also grateful for advice on when to book - if we drive/stay in chalets, can we just drive and turn up at any caravan site and get accommodation easily? We would prefer to have the flexibility of being able to do this, rather than pre-booking.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,018 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Hi Twiglet,

If you want to go to Cairns/Port Douglas you need to make that your first port of call, the season changes, it will be more humid and stinger season is around the corner.

IMO and if it were me, and from what you seem to want, I would stay in Cairns for a few days, say 4 at least, fly from Cairns to Brisbane, rent a vehicle (it's a personal thing, but I would not use a campervan) and head south to Sydney.

The time you are going is a good time, weathers not too hot, the little darlings are at school, and most places are less packed.

Yes I would drive from Brisbane to Sydney without booking, and yes I would just turn up to a caravan park, a decent sized one, and book a cabin.

Have a read of the link below, Driving between Sydney AND Brisbane, of course you will more than likely do it in the reverse order shown on the link.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

The coast road rarely has sights of the coast, you have to do small detours to the coast for most little beach side towns.

Below is a link to one of the big caravan park associations, they normally have good quality caravan parks.

http://nsw.big4.com.au/north-coast-nsw.aspx

Just going back to Queensland, there are many interesting things to see between Cairns and Brisbane, you have the Whitsundays, Fraser Island and the Sunshine Coast (my favourite) just to name a few, plus some very interesting inland sights The issue IMO is, it's a long way between them all, nearly 2000 kilometres, so depending on how long you have here which is unknown, that's why I have said fly between Cairns and Brisbane. If you have month or more, then I would drive from Cairns to Sydney.

A few worthwhile links below.

http://www.visitnsw.com/

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/tropi…

visitgoldcoast.com/where-to-stay/resorts/…

Let us know how long you're here, and experts in their areas will give you more insight on what to do, see, eat and where to stay.

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Hi

Rob has pointed out excellent points regarding the two different routes. As its the start of the Stinger Season you won't be able to swim in the ocean without a stinger suit from Cairns to Noosa. (Sunshine Coast)

www,marinestingers.com.au

I love the coastal route from Brisbane to Cairns due to the gorgeous towns & attractions along the way. Its a road less travelled too. However; it can be a times boring & tiresome as there are some very boring stretches between towns. You won't have a problem camping along this route at this time of the year.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisb…

If you do decide to opt for the drive between Brisbane to Sydney - here are my favourite places with excellent caravan parks.

Coolangatta / Byron Bay / Yamba / Sturt Head/ South West Rocks / Scotts Heads / Hat Head / Crescent Head / Port Macquarie / Crowdy Head National Park (kangaroos) / Port Stephens.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255055-c3001/Aust…

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Couldn't have put it better myself Rob T & Ellemay.

Oscar

Edited: 8:29 pm, August 01, 2013
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Hi Twiglet, if you decide on the Brisbane/Sydney leg, here are some northern NSW options. None offer swimming pools or jumping castles or any other kiddie amusements like the larger parks. Broken Head (just south of Byron), right on the beach. Lennox Head, beside the lake and across the road from the beach. Shaws Bay, the bay on one side and the river on the other. Woody Head (Iluka), right on the beach. Brooms Head, right on the beach. And my most favourite of all is Sandon River. River on one side and beach the other. Broken Head, Woody Head and Sandon don't offer cabins, which is a pretty good reason to hire a camper. Wherever you go, enjoy your honeymoon

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Hi All, thanks for all the amazing feedback! Based on the above I think we will probably fly from Cairns (after a 4 night stay) to Brisbane, stay in Brisbane for a couple of nights and then drive down to Sydney. We are planning on taking 7/8 days for the drive - do you think this is enough time? Grateful to hear of the best things to do in this time, perhaps things that the tourist might not usually find!

I'm still in two minds about the car/campervan though. Having read the reviews, I'm more inclined to go with the car but we really like the idea of the more secluded, beach front camp sites (the ones Glenn describes sounds beautiful!) but it sounds like we'd really need a campervan to be able to stay at these types of sites...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

Having done both drives the brisbane to Sydney one is far nicer in my opinion so good idea flying from Carins to Brisbane (it's a LONG way). The beaches and towns along the coast road are delightful. I've always used a car and had no problems but I tend to stay in cabins or holiday apartments.

Have a wonderful time!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

>>>Couldn't have put it better myself Rob T & Ellemay<<<

I know! Brilliant.

Absolutely in awe of those with such in depth knowledge.

I've driven the SYD-BNE trip twice and I'd be lucky to name two towns enroute.

Bravo RobT & EM

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

I prefer the Brisbane to Sydney route - some suggestion on the way ! Byron Bay , Sawtell , port Stephens , Hunter Valley !

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

>>>I've driven the SYD - BNE trip twice and I'd be lucky to name two towns en-route<<<.Then that hardly qualifies you to know what is in depth knowledge and what isn't, does it KVE

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairns to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney?

No you're quite right Glenn, very fair point.

But even with my limited knowledge, you also seem to have a great depth in your driving knowledge also of the areas.

Far more than I ever will.

And I wasn't intending to take away anything from the other posts - if that's how it came across. So my apologies there.

Edited: 7:56 am, August 24, 2013