We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private and Public Transport Help please..

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Private and Public Transport Help please..

Hi we will be in Brisbane ( house sitting in Carina) for two weeks next year.

We Will have a car but would prefer to use it as little as possible, eg : drive it to Bulimba and catch the boat into Brisbane city. (As we have never driven overseas before and am from a small town in NZ with no motorways etc)

1 - What are the passes you can purchase to go on the boats and buses, can you buy short term passes ?

2- Can we buy our own electronic thing that goes in the car for paying toll's etc or are we better giving the owner of the car money and using their one ?

3 - Do we need to inform anyone that it is us driving the car? eg Council or just the owners insurance company.

4- Best/quickest way to get to ipswich using public transport

5- Best/quickest way to get to Goldcoast using public transport

thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private and Public Transport Help please..

Hi, here we go.

1. Here's the link for GoCard .... translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/go-card/

2. And the toll link (I would just use your friends) .. https://www.govia.com.au/via/home/

3. No and No

4 & 5 ... Train.

You can get individual/one off tickets for public transport but via GoCard it's easier and cheaper. If you want to you can just pay the tolls on-line within 3 days but if you won't drive on the major roads why? I'm presuming your friends have comprehensive insurance, generally that covers anyone over 25 to drive the car, certainly no need to notify the council. The closest railway station to Carina is Coorpooroo or Norman Park, but the drive to either Ipswich or the coast is much much quicker and toll free.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private and Public Transport Help please..

thanks able58

We don't plan on driving on any major roads so wont really need the toll card things but just wanted to check incase we get adventurous or lost on our short drives :)

Yes they have insurance that will cover my partner driving their car, I just don't want the owners getting tickets or loosing demerits due to something we did while having the car (As i know your demerit system is stricter then ours in NZ) , hence checking if we need to inform any other party that it will be my partner driving.

Thank you for the information you gave, I will have a look at those sites now.

Have a nice night

-jess

Edited: 5:54 am, July 07, 2013
3. Re: Private and Public Transport Help please..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 09, 2014