We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why stay in Brisbane

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why stay in Brisbane

My family are going to be doing a 3 week tour from Sydney to Cape Tribulation in July.

We are due to return our campervan to Brisbane before taking the tilt train to Hervey Bay.

Our itinerary currently has us staying in Brisbane for 1 night but I am not sure whether this is necessary.

Can someone advise why we should stay, what there is to do and how long we would need.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

Elaine, FNQ is the pointy end of Queensland on your map. Generally speaking, Cairns & north.

I'd endorse others in encouraging visitors to spend a day in Brisbane. It's a lovely city, great art gallery GOMA (gallery of modern art); restaurants, walks & ferry rides along the river.

Have a look at the website Visit Queensland - Brisbane.

Edited: 6:32 pm, May 12, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

Elaine, Beautiful world heritage areas and of course the Great Barrier Reef are accessible from Far north Qld.

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/tropi…

Edited: 6:41 pm, May 12, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,710 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

Far North Queensland is actually just that.... the very north of Queensland, the tropics, Cairns, Great Barrier Reef. About 2.5 hours from Brisbane to Cairns by air.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

A one hour walk around the inner city suburbs of Paddington or Red Hill, will show you Brisbane's unique architecture.

Duck down a side street and check out an Old Queenslander house, tin roofs, high up on stilts - my English friends are always fascinated by our traditional homes and workers cottages. One of my friends thought the reason our houses were so high up off the ground was to ensure kangaroos can't jump in! So sweet. If you are already here, why not check it out? Brisbane folk are chilled and friendly.

In fact, the other day, I read on another thread, - a visitor who will be making a one day stop over and unsure what to do - she took up the offer from a Brisbane lady, who invited to take her, to the koala sanctuary to cuddle a koala!

It made me proud to be a Brisbane girl.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

>> One of my friends thought the reason our houses were so high up off the ground was to ensure kangaroos can't jump in! <<

Love that :-))

Brisbane
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

Yes MacKnee, I love it too. I can see their logic - I also love that that woman offered to take a complete stranger around Brisbane for the day!

17. Re: Why stay in Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 15, 2014