We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

(Sorry in advance if this is a bit long-winded. Bear with me!)

My sister and I hired a car from Alpha at the start of March from Brisbane airport. I had read some good reviews (admittedly some bad too) on here and my sister had used them before, the rate was good, we were ok with the depot not being right at the airport, so we went ahead and booked.

All went well except for one major hassle. We were emailed directions of where to go once we reached Brisbane. My sister rang the depot on arrival and they said yep we will be there in ten. My sister just wanted to confirm exactly where to go, however the person on the phone said "the pickup point has been changed" and proceeded to give her a very quick explanation before hanging up the phone. Not knowing Brisbane airport very well, we wandered around looking for the "walkway" they spoke of in their hurried directions and saw the walkway over to the train & car park ... surely that must be what they were talking about? However we could see nothing indicating a pick up point for alpha. We both rang the depot again and again repeatedly but always got a busy signal. This happened for about half an hour. We would see purple alpha vans coming and going in the distance. No airport staff we asked seemed to know where the alpha pick up point was either. Eventually we kept walking to the right (as you come out of domestic terminal), riiiigght over at the far end we found another tiny walkway with an alpha sign at the end. There was no van there and no one had called us to ask where we were. Why not?? we wondered.

Eventually I called the alpha head office number, miraculously they connected me to the Brisbane depot straight away and a few minutes later our van arrived. We were a bit grumpy by this time as we had a long drive to maroochydore we were keen to start, it was starting to get dark and it was raining.

To their credit the staff waived the extra driver fee ($11) to compensate for our wait but I would've gladly paid it instead of being held up by 45 min. They said they had emailed everyone the new pickup point which had changed since we made our booking. However they missed us.

Would I use them again? If the price was a lot better than competitors, then yes, but this experience will make me look at other companies and I'd definitely ring in advance to get clear directions on where to go for the pick up point next time.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Something very similar like this happened to us!

We booked with an online travel broker and they recommended Alpha car rental.

This is the worst company in Brisbane when it comes to customer service! The staff at Alpha Car Rental assume that you pretty much live on BNE Airport and also they spoke to fast that I couldn't understand the staff member. I am not a native English speaker and the pace at which the "directions" have been given were absolutely ridiculous! Then, dont expect them to come and collect you like other companies do, instead they get you to walk to the last corner of the airport and drive you to their depot.

NEVER AGAIN! And to make matters worse, they're not even cheaper than other, decent, companies!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Brisbane Intl Airport
Brisbane Intl Airport
Brisbane, Australia
Gold coast
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Alpha Airport Parking and car rentals were absolutely untrustworthy, did not take proper care of my car, were late for pick up, way later than every one else, made us needlessly walk to them rather than park close by, the driver must have thought he was a co pilot the way he was on the 2 way the whole trip, never saw my GPS again, it was in the car when I left it there...waste of time complaining to the owner, who just told me he was rich and basically didn't care, he eventually offered a %15 discount next time I come there to be ripped off…fat chance, waste of money, left to feel like a fool for using them. Totally humiliating way to finish off our holiday. Use some one else, there are plenty of other airport parking places without their odious reputation, I wish I had read the reviews first.

Gold coast
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Absolutely untrustworthy, did not take proper care of my car, were late for pick up, way later than every one else, made us needlessly walk to them rather than park close by, the driver must have thought he was a co pilot the way he was on the 2 way the whole trip, never saw my GPS again, it was in the car when I left it there...waste of time complaining to the owner, who just told me he was rich and basically didn't care, he eventually offered a %15 discount next time I come there to be ripped off…fat chance, waste of money, left to feel like a fool for using them. Totally humiliating way to finish off our holiday. Use some one else, there are plenty of other airport parking places without their odious reputation, I wish I had read the reviews first.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Alpha airport parking and Alpha car rentals are too different companies. Your post is not relevant to the original feedback on Alpha car rental. It would be better if you posted your complaint about Alpha airport parking on a new thread.

Edited: 3:44 am, May 08, 2014
Seoul, South Korea
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Alpha Car Rental was ok price-wise, but I agree that the service people rush you through to get you out of the office as quick as possible. They explained the toll road system, but not well, so I signed up on the GoVia web page in their office, but it didn't work. Several weeks after my return home, I got a letter from them stating I didn't pay a $2.50 toll, and thus Alpha deducted an extra $55 "admin fee" from my credit card. This is a straight up scam cosidering how poorly the toll road payment website works.

My recommendation, avoid using Alpha.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,223 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

I have just completed a months hire of a Alpha car hire and feel more than qualified to comment on some of the more recent posts.

1. I have commented for a number of years now about the use of third party brokers when hiring rental cars from companies who have a more than adequate and self explanatory websites. When booking with a broker the broker is the contracted party to the contract not the actual hirer and experience has shown that when a major issue arises the broker clips the ticket and runs for the hills.

2. Regarding the comment about the staff member rushing the contract through and not explaining the procedure properly a certain amount of responsibility must be taken by the hirer. If they were not clear on something they should have asked for clarification. New Zealanders and Australians as part of our normal diction speak faster than many other nationalities and as such ESOL speakers may have trouble keeping up. If one is unclear about something ASK. I had a couple of queries when I picked up my car and the receptionist was more than helpful.

3. We also did spend a significant amount of time going over the vehicle and recording marks and blemishes before leaving the depot which made the return process very easy and quick especially as we hadn't done any damage and we ensured that the vehicle was inspected and signed in by a company rep.

4. Regarding the GOVIA toll process. The method of paying tolls is outlined on the emailed confirmation of the contract and highlighted again on the actual contract. In fact one has to initial reading this page when signing the contract which indicates that they have read and understood how to arrange payment of tolls and subsequent consequences if tolls are not paid including the "HIGH" admin costs. Paying the toll is extremely simple . Ring the 1300 number and speak with the operator who will ask for the registration number, the time one picked up the rental car and when it is to be returned and a credit card number. Very simple the whole process took about 10 minutes. I am surprised that the South Korean arranged for toll payment on the website in the Alpha office as I was unaware that this is possible. There is no facility in the small office for public access to their computers.

5. Pick up from the airport- The area and pick up is again clearly outlined on the pre hire documentation and is one was unclear where to go, had they asked at the airport info counter they would have been told where to go as all pick ups are done at the same place. There is a 1300 number to call for a pick up.

6. Alpha car rental and car parking are subsidiaries of the same company and are closely aligned in their operations. I cant take seriously the comment about the "Owner " of car parking actually dealing with the customer. I find two things about this comment interesting why was a GPS left in the vehicle such that it could have been stolen and secondly did the car owner advise the car parking company that it was in the vehicle in case there was a break in. Such thefts are not a belt out of the blue at such establishments. I suggest he puts in a claim to his insurance company for the loss and he would have already reported the matter to the police wouldn't he.

We again had a very acceptable experience with Alpha and will again include them in our mix of companies to use

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,176 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Just so everyone knows ... the airport is the one who decides where shuttle buses can and can't stop. Off airport car parking shuttles are relegated to the far ends of both domestic and the international terminal, it's nothing to do with service.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
466 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Our experience was also similar.

Over charged-

Jumped through hoops cause heir office is unattended and they failed to email us that we needed to complete forms. The booking agent apparently gave them the wrong email address. They finally rang us on the way to the airport. We finally managed to get their forms printed out at the aitport and sent them thru to alpha. Who then didn't bother to respond. I rang four times trying to get confirmation. Rediculous. they seemed to busy and unbothered.

I wish I had read these reviews before booking

There are very poor directions to the pick up point which is disconcerting after dark.

It is all very unprofessional, poorly coordinated and quite disappointing as it puts unnecessary stress on our holiday

DO NOT USE ALPHA CAR RENTALS

Edited: 2:26 am, November 25, 2014
Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Thanks for this review . have used them in the past for off airport parking and no probs.

Now need to hire vehicles due to relocation However after reading this and other reviews will now look elsewhere for airport vehicle hire.

Mornington...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Alpha car rentals Brisbane review

Alpha Sunshine Coast Car Hire, Left me stranded at the airport with no car and 7 guests after booking a month in advance (booking number etc) Car was taken off the road and they had no replacement or any other car of shape or size to help me. The lady couldn't of cared less. Not worth the risk as they have poor customer service no cars in case of an issue and if an issue arises they wont do much to help you out. If they were prepared to drop the replacement car off at Noosa the next day that would of helped a little, not sure what we all would of done to get there but give me something. If you are flying into Sunshine Coast try Redspot Car Hire at the Airport similar price and more convenient, great customer service and willing to do lots for the customer. Thanks Jimmy for getting me and the family out of the disappointment of Alpha.

Mentioned in this post
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast, Australia