We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Hello,

I am arriving in Brisbane from Cairns on the 16th August for 10 days. I am wondering where to stay which is reasonably priced as I am trying to keep the cost down where possible. I am looking at hostels primarily with some decent hotels here and there along my trip.

What are the main things to see and do in brisbane in August? I am 26, male, travelling alone looking for general tourism and exciting activities.

Many thanks

Steve

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Some ideas to consider include; Moreton and Stradbroke Islands, Sunshine and Gold Coasts (although the water will be chilly in August) and going to a football match as it will be getting to the pointy end of the season.

It will also be the beginning of whale watching season which can be done at all of the above places.

Edited: 8:41 am, March 26, 2013
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Thanks Buck, most useful!

I'm sure it won't be as chilly as the water in England! :)

Do snorkeling / boat trips take place in august?

Thanks

Edited: 8:50 am, March 26, 2013
Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Yes, the only place that comes to mind to snorkel close to Brisbane is Moreton Island. There are the wrecks off the beach and the coloured fish are lovely. To see coral you need to travel north to GBR but you will have seen that from Cairns.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,085 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

If you google Brisbane hostels you will get loads of responses with details so you can pick which suits you.

I am not sure how a single guy can fill 10 days in Brisbane. You might like to look at going to the coast (Gold Coast) or even Byron Bay. Brisbane is not a major tourist destination and you would have to travel a fair way to do anything beach/adventure related.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Hi Steve

I agree 10 days in Brisbane may be a bit long but there of course is lots to do in and around Brisbane, depending on your interests. I would suggest a few days on Stradbroke Island at one of the hostels, it will be whale watching season, also good beaches, surfing and fishing here.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
82 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Hey Steve

The Brisbane City YHA is the most upmarket hostel in Brisbane with rooftop pool and great facilities, it may cost a few $ more than others but the quality is high. They have private ensuite rooms as well as share rooms. Things to do, I tend to agree 10 days is a long time, I would spread that out and mabye head down to the Gold Coast for a few days or up to the Sunshine Coast.

In Brisbane you can do day trips to Moreton Island with Adventure Moreton Tours, XXXX Ale House Brewery Tour (includes beer at the end), Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, jump on a City Cat Ferry around the City, if you are into museums and gardens there are a few. Shopping is also good in Brisbane and there are plenty of nightclubs to keep you up all night.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Hi,

What made you decide on Brisbane? After Cairns there are plenty of other iconic experiences in Oz. Unless you are meeting up with friends or family I would give serious consideration to cutting a few days off your Brisbane visit and going to Uluru/Kata Juta or Kangaroo Island or the Gold Coast or Canberra or a small telephone booth at Blayney!

Cheers,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,085 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

I have been to Blayney and there are NO telephone booths there ... not as exciting as OZRCFLYER makes it out to be.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

Hi able56,

To the tune of Red Gum's I've been to Bali too. I've been to Blaney too. I broke down in Blaney on my way from Canberra to Leura many years ago and there was a telephone booth at the Station that I used to call for help. No mobile phones then. I had a fascinating time in sub zero temps.

Cheers,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in Brisbane 16th August - 25th August

It really depends on what your interests are. Maybe check out www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/Default.aspx for some initial ideas. Given that you're travelling alone it might be worth meeting up with a Brisbane Greeter in your first couple of days to show you around the city (it's a free service) http://www.brisbanegreeters.com.au.

Brisbane has some interesting museums and art galleries, if you're into that kind of thing. If you wanted to do learn some more about the city you could consider doing some self-guided walks:

visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/…Brisbane.pdf

There's the colonial Brisbane Heritage Walk, with a podcast which you can download and listen to as you go. …qld.gov.au/Heritage/Pages/ColonialBrisbaneH…

I know it's not exactly Brisbane surrounds but with that amount of time would you consider spending three or four days doing a tour of Fraser Island? tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g255078-r8…

There's an AFL game on at the Gabba on 17 August www.lions.com.au/season/fixture-and-results If you've never seen AFL before it might be quite interesting for you and certainly draws a crowd.

Moreton Island is also a good suggestion. There's plenty of activities - whale watching tours, dolphin feeding, sand tobogganing, bushwalking, kayaking, snorkelling (although if you're coming from Cairns this won't compare to the reef up there), jet skiing, 4WDing, etc.

The Gold and Sunshine coasts have many beautiful beaches to choose from. Both also have lovely hinterland areas to explore if you like bushwalking, etc. Behind the Gold Coast are Lamington and Springbrook national parks, both part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area. The scenery is breathtaking.

Lamington NP http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/

Springbrook NP www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/springbrook/