We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

layover in Brisbane--do we need visas to exit airport

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
14 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
layover in Brisbane--do we need visas to exit airport

We are flying lax-Brisbane-Auckland and have an 8 hour layover. We were hoping to take the air train and walk around the city. Do we need visas for this? Thanks very much.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: layover in Brisbane--do we need visas to exit airport

If your leaving within 8 hours of arrival you should be fine as a transit passenger if you are travelling with a US passport.

www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/no-visa.htm

but to make certain I suggest you call the embassy in Washington.

immi.gov.au/contacts/…

Oscar

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: layover in Brisbane--do we need visas to exit airport

u will need some sort of visa.

whether a transit visa application is worth the hassle for an 8 hour stopover is up to u.

immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/visa-options.htm

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: layover in Brisbane--do we need visas to exit airport

Hi there I,m Fairly Sure you would need some form of Visa to Leave the Transit Area of the Airport as you will have to go through immigration to get to the outside world , I personally wouldnt bother leaving the airport and then having to check in again once you return from your little trip into Brisbane and Then go through security and immigration all over again , I,m Not 100 % sure about the Visa and i stand corrected if wrong , But even if no visa is required its still a big Hassle for a couple of hours in the city .

Why dont you have a stopover in Brissy and enjoy our wonderful City and Surrounds aswell as Meeting our friendly locals .

Have a safe trip .

4. Re: layover in Brisbane--do we need visas to exit airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 12, 2014