We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

Any suggestion as in where and when there is a high chance to see them?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

my daughters live in Hope Island on the gold coast and when I was out there last December/January nearly every day we passed one or two sitting around at the side of the road

Brisbane...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

There is a population of roos around the Wacol, Gailes area. They are easy to spot on the Gailes and Wilston Park golf courses. The golf course ones are use to people to, so are very relaxed.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
798 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

Ditto to the Daisy Hill forest area, hubby and I walk regularly through the forest tracks there and on average we spot about 8-10 wallabies each time. You do have to get there pretty early though, we usually start our walks about 5:30-6. As you drive out along Daisy Hill Rd, there's usually several on some of the surrounding yards.

The koala sanctuary is worth a visit, you'll see koalas there, we haven't seen one in the forest though.

Brisbane Queensland
Level Contributor
1 post
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

We have both Koala's, possums and kangaroos which appear quite regularly in our backyard as we back onto a bush area in Caboolture. You don't see them all the time though although we know they are around.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
364 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

Sunshine Coast University for kangaroos. Noosa National Park for koalas though spotting them is difficult. There has been one in the gum tree outside the Noosa Surf Club recently. As mentioned Tewantin Golf Club for roos.

Roos are more common than you think though they are hard to spot. Roos are crepuscular and so the lazy little beggars are mostly asleep or lounging around in the shade during the day.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

In addition to this October 2012 post;

I sometimes think and take consolation when I see my mob of kangaroos in my suburban backyard; that there are people who come thousands of miles just to see this… When here they are, just grazing peacefully on fresh grass roots after the rain – FREE of charge! Much like if I were in Canada; I’d be in awe to see Moose and Polar Bears etc. according to their habitat - location.

Our Koalas have long been removed and relocated to Daisy Hill Conservation Park due to suburban development, so all that remains is kangaroos, possums, frilly neck lizards and birdlife in a preserved Bushland corridor.

Cheers Angie

Edited: 6:12 pm, January 14, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

Try driving to Sirromet Winery on Mount Cotton Road, there are hundreds of wild kangaroos which eat the grapes and you are guaranteed to see at least ten! For koalas, you will only be able too see them in the wild just on the side of the road in the trees, but as other posters have said, if it fails, visit Daisy Hill Koala Sanctuary, where there are about 5 rescued koals. Good luck!

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

I live on the north side and regularly have koalas in my backyard. Haven't seen a kangaroo or wallaby here though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

You see them all the time at Links @ Hope Island (the golf course there).

Saw 2 kanagaroo "families" there just this week :)

In Sydney, the golf course in Dural has heaps of them around.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,961 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Kangaroos/koalas in the wild around Brisbane,sunshine coast.

I have often seen Kangaroos drinking at a waterhole in Bells Creek in Keith Hill Park. This park is at the end of the Esplanade in Golden Beach, Caloundra, Sunshine Coast.

There is bush at the far end of the creek which separates the residential area from the bush. On our visits we've seen them early in the morning drinking. They were quite calm but when they bounded away into the bush the vibration from their weight hitting the ground carried right across the creek to where we were quietly watching.

Amazing.

Edited: 2:22 pm, January 29, 2014