We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Miri, Malaysia
5 posts
Save Topic
Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Hello,

I'll be going to Brisbane in November for a concert at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Boondall. I haven't book a hotel yet, and was wondering whether it would better to stay closer to the venue and drive (I will be coming from Gold Coast, was thinking of renting a car) or stay in the city and take the train?

Are taxis easy to get, just in case the concert ends late?

This is my first time visiting Australia, so I am very excited. :D

Thank you in advance!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

taxi's are easy to get or yes you can park at the venue- @$10-$15 to park.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Places to stay near the Entertainment Centre are limited, but there is one place that I know of that is probably only five minutes by cab. Don't know what the standard is but would be fine to stay at for one night. It's I believe called The Palms and is on the corner of Sandgate and Zillmere Roads

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Traffic along the Gateway Motorway and surrounding streets after a concert can be very congested Sara… Your Taxi driver would be rubbing his hands with happiness too receive this kind of fare…

Although the Boondall Railway Station on the Shorncliffe Railway Line; is a 15 minute walk. No buses run to this area. The last train leaves for the City at 12:14am and run every 30 minutes prior to that, Monday – Friday. 12:20am being the last on Saturday only and 11:50pm Week-ends…

For your accommodation needs – 4 Star Hotel, you could try Brisbane International Virginia Palms, Cnr Sandgate and Zillmere Road; it’s less than 4 km’s to BEC. But you’ll have to hurry especially when there’s an event on to make a booking.

Cheers Angie

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Last time I attended a concert at the Boondall we stayed at the Brisbane International as mentioned by Angie4124 above. Was perfectly fine accommodation for a one night stay and has a good restaurant. I would happily stay there again if circumstances found me at Boondall.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

The simplest and easiest way is to take the train there and back from the Gold Coast if you are coming to Brisbane just for the concert.. See www.translink.com.au and use the journey planner to work out your travel options.

Miri, Malaysia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions! I should have done this sooner, haha. Asked on the forum, I mean.

I am actually thinking of spending the last few days of our stay in Brisbane (concert is on Friday night, our flight leaves on Sunday night). I have been reading about how expensive parking is in Brisbane (esp. in the city) and am wondering whether renting a car to get there is such a good idea, since it seems like getting around the city is doable by train/bus and walking.

So basically, if we're getting around by public transport, my options are :-

#1 Arrive from Gold Coast by train, check in to a hotel in the city (I'm looking at the Inchcolm Hotel), then leave around 5.30pm for concert (it start at 7.30pm, but I still have to pick up my tickets at the venue).

Coming back either by train or taxi. Spend Saturday in Brisbane city.

ANGIE4124, the hotel I enquired at said that coming back by taxi would be $40-45. Would you say this is normal fare, or includes by stuck in the jam?

#2 Arrive in Brisbane by train, check into hotel/motel near the venue (Palms or Colonial Village Taigum), leave at 6.30pm go to pick up tickets and go to concert. The next day, take train into the city, spend the day there. Check out on Sunday, with luggage. If there's a luggage storage place at the station, that would be great. Spend the early part of Sunday in Brisbane, before heading to the airport.

#3 Arrive in Brisbane by train, check into hotel/motel near the venue (Palms or Colonial Village Taigum), go to concert. The next day, take train into the city, check in to a hotel in the city. Spend the day exploring Brisbane. Leave luggage at the hotel. while we spend part of Sunday exploring. Take train to airport.

I should add that it will just my husband and I, and our luggage will just be a small roller. And our backpacks.

Thank you again for the replies! :)

Miri, Malaysia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

includes *being stuck in the jam?

Typo, sorry.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Traffic after a concert is caused by everyone leaving at the same time. If you are not in a hurry you could stay back and have a drink etc and then catch a taxi to avoid the traffic. By waiting 30 mins you may be able to save a few dollars.

Miri, Malaysia
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

That makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion, BuckBrisbaneAus!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brisbane Entertainment Centre - Transport and Where to stay

Yeah I probably wouldn't suggest train after a concert - if the band runs late or does a long encore you might find yourself having to leave to make sure you make the last train.

Taxi might be your best option unfortunately - $45 would be a pretty cheap fare, to the Incholm I would say at least $60 these days.

But that being said - to hire a car is going to cost you about $50 a day plus chuck in $12 for parking at the Entertainment Centre and you are at $65 - so if the taxi comes in around that price you are set.

Check out the Taxi Rank straight after the concert - if it is busy then head in and have a drink at the bar and wait a little while - that way you avoid the traffic jam.

It might be a great venue but unfortunately not terribly good for public transport users.

There are a couple of cheap Motels close to the Entertainment Centre - I think one is called the Boondall Motel, they won't be flashy but may be comfy for a nights stay and are only about a 5min cab ride from the Centre.