We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamington National Park in August

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lamington National Park in August

Hello everyone,

My wife, two kids (ages 9 and 10) and I have booked a trip already to visit Queensland in August. We are already planning to visit the Gold Coast, Fraser Island, and some GRB experience (probably Heron Island).

I would like to do something away from the water and in particular see and photograph some wildlife (wildlife photography is my favorite hobby). I am therefore interested in Lamington National Park and we are considering staying two nights at O'Reilly's.

I was wondering the following

- How cold will it be there at that time? From what I gather it is 16-17C (65F). Is this the case? (if so we're from Seattle and that's not so bad)

- How is the wildlife viewing at that time?

- Is there a better place to go to at that time to view rainforest wildlife? I am specifically looking for something near Brisbane.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamington National Park in August

Hi there

Generally august will bring cold and clear starry nights.

As far as wildlife goes,O'Reillys is about as good as it gets, especially bird life.

Two nights will be perfect!

Enjoy

Edited: 1:07 am, October 07, 2012
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamington National Park in August

O'Reilly's will be a wonderful spot to get some great photos of your kids feeding Rosellas too. The pademelons feeding at dusk are super cute too.

As mentioned, nights can be quite cold (probably lower than 16) so make sure you have a warmish coat/fleece

O'Reilly's is a great spot for a couple of days - I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamington National Park in August

Agreed. O'Reilly's is going to be just perfect for what you're after. They offer a range of activities for guests to get out and about and see the rainforest and the wildlife. August is probably our coldest month but if you're from Seattle, I don't think it will worry you too much. Be mindful that It is much cooler up on the plateau (about 5 degrees C less) than by the coast.

Here's a bit of information about the national park: …qld.gov.au/parks/lamington/culture.html.

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamington National Park in August

Thank you for your responses. Sounds like O'Reilly's is a good idea and I will keep it in the itinerary.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
722 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamington National Park in August

We just spent 5 days in Lamington, at BinaBurra insead of O'Reilly's. It was chilly at night in mid-sept and we were glad of our wool socks, hats, and warm jackets. We stayed in platform tents and were also happy to have our down sleeping bags.

Be sure to have rain gear-waterproof pants with elastic ankles are very useful for those rainforest trails, and keep the leeches off.A hat is a must as well. We hiked miles(literally) and saw so much beautiful scenery, but were often wet and muddy when we got back.

We loved the chance to see Blue Bower birds, and hear the call of the whip bird, and so will you!

Edited: 9:45 pm, October 11, 2012
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
722 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamington National Park in August

I suggest you spend 3 days if you can....It gets dark early in the mountains at that time of year.

the overflow
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamington National Park in August

catch up on the story of the 'stinson crash'.

if you are walkers do the walk to the crash site.

in any case make sure you do the walk to the caldera rim

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamington National Park in August

Hey Clancy, how long have they been offering walks to the Stinson site?

I can remember going to O'Reilly's as kids and having Bernard O'Reilly do the night's 'entertainment' - a slide show and talk about the Stinson.... fantastic!

9. Re: Lamington National Park in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013