We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping medications cold to London

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping medications cold to London

Hi

i head off on a long haul flight to London in a few weeks.

I need to keep medication cold intransit.

Due to the rigid fluid restrictions inflight, ice bricks not allowed.

If anyone has done thist and can share their hints I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Jules

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

jacc61 how are you getting on. Found a solution yet.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

I had to organise this for my employer to take meds to UK. I sourced one of those little freezer packs that you see the cabin staff use in their drinks trolley, called Techni Ice. It islittle cells or bubbles of coolant and they stay cold twice as long as ice bricks and are much smaller. Works great, used on planes, and you can cut off just a strip and wrap around your meds. On ebay to buy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

Hi all

Thanks for your tips.

No solution yet.

There are "cooler bags" available for purchase from Supapharm(an Aussie pharmacy outlet), recommended for use with diabetic medications. The entire bag is frozen. For my purposes they are far too large.

A friend who is a Flight Attendant suggested ziplock bags with ice, in a cooler bag- discard at control point, then ask for ice while waiting/on plane. Take extra bags so process can be repeated. Also take small ice bricks in luggage, for use when accommodation has freezer(or for picnic supplies).

I will phone the airline to get their opinion.

Jules

England
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

I have had no problem flying with a small cooler bag and ice blocks. I had letters from my GP and pharmacist explaining that I had medication that had to be kept refrigerated.

However, this would not keep meds cool long enough for long haul, and when we flew London to Sydney earlier this year I used a Frio wallet that keeps contents cool for up to 45 hours. www.friouk.com/distributors/Australasia/

Hope this helps

Julie

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

I had a look at the website of the NZ distributers and their costings and believe it would be chaeper to buy direct from FrioUK taking into account exchange differences. If this outfit is anything like Amazon UK you will have the items within a week at a coast of around $A30 which in the circumstances I think is brilliant.

16. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 25, 2013