We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping medications cold to London

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping medications cold to London

Hi

i head off on a long haul flight to London in a few weeks.

I need to keep medication cold intransit.

Due to the rigid fluid restrictions inflight, ice bricks not allowed.

If anyone has done thist and can share their hints I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Jules

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

have you tried posting this on the air travel forum ... bound to be someone over there who can give you the info you need

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

Thanks.

I was totally clueless as to where to post it.

As per each and every day I live, another thing learned.

Jules

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

The disability forum has quite a few posts on this very topic so maybe have a read on that one for some tips.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

Apparently you can get away with ice bricks as long as they are frozen solid at the beginning of your journey.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

take a small cooler and ask the cabin crew for ice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

You could contact the airline directly.

I met someone recently who had to take meds on ice wherever she went and she clearly didn't have a problem getting them to the US ... it was just a hassle getting a fridge in a hotel room.

My understanding is that airlines do not take any responsibility for your meds and I have heard that they some FA have refused to put meds into the airline's cold storage on the plane ... something about food spoilage / airline policies etc.

If you meds need to be kept below a certain temp but not necessarily cold, then you can buy insulated bags ... I bought one from the post office for about $7 and it was fine for me but not if you need to keep the items REALLY cold.

Edited: 6:05 pm, August 13, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

Thanks everyone.

I will investigate your advice.

Cheers

Jules

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

I reinforce the idea to contact the airline in the first instance. You wont be the first person to have similar requirements. As a socondary thought contact your local diabetics society. Many have a range of small cooler bags designed to keep insulin cool for considerable periods. As you havent indicated what sort of medication you have this may be an answer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

You are allowed to use dry ice

For Qantas

<<Carbon dioxide, solid (dry ice), in quantities not exceeding 2.5 kg (5lb) per passenger when used to pack perishables not subject to these Regulations in checked or carry-on baggage, provided the baggage (package) permits the release of carbon dioxide gas. Each item of checked baggage must be marked "dry ice" or "carbon dioxide, solid" and with the net weight of dry ice or an indication that there is 2.5kg or less dry ice.>>

This also re insulin

<<Insulin on board

Qantas is not able to refrigerate insulin or other drugs on board. If your medication requires refrigeration you can carry on board a small cooler. The cabin crew can replenish the cooler with ice as required.>>

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keeping medications cold to London

Dry ice is a PIA both to buy and to transport as it comes under the dangerous goods act and while the check in security people should know they are not always aware. Not to mention that it is relatively expensive. many places make you buy a minimum of 5kg.

I'd stick to the cooler and the ice refills.