We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

Seattle
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

We are a family with two school age children, but that means we are limited in when we can travel. We are only able to travel at the end of December (when airline tickets are too expensive) or at the end of June, July, or August.

I realize that August is not the best weather there, but I was wondering what to expect around Brisbane. The following are our very rough plans for a 3 week trip.

- Fly into Brisbane (Seattle - LAX - Brisbane)

- Take kids to amusement parks there

- Spend some time on Fraser Island

- Go up to the Great Barrier Reef

- Optionally see Ayers Rock or visit relatives in Melbourne if we have time (they offered to meet us in Brisbane, but we'll see... :) )

My wife is extremely concerned that the weather will not be conducive to swimming at this time. From what I understand all of the pools are heated this time of year and we never swim in the ocean anyways.

Note that as we live in Seattle, temperatures in the 70's are very nice for us. So if we travel this time of year, will Fraser Island and Brisbane be most likely in the 60's or below and windy?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,552 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

Hi kirispupis,

On Fraser Island the weather is normally good, mornings cool but days clear. Day time temps around the low 70’sF, nights can get low, but would average 50+F. I would not advise swimming on Fraser Island beaches, maybe in the shallows only, rock pools, lakes and creeks like -

http://tinyurl.com/Champagne-Pools

http://tinyurl.com/Eli-Creek

http://tinyurl.com/McKenzie-Lake

so there are plenty of places to swim. In August it can get windy, but the winds are usually from the west and south west, this is OK for Fraser Island as the east coast is not normally affected.

Our experiences with GBR, are always in either August or September. And this is our favourite time there, it’s warm and the weather is usually good. Day time temps average around the 80’sF with nights around 55 to 60F.

Sorry I can’t answer questions on heated pools as I don’t swim in them.

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,552 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

Sorry, I forgot to mention Brisbane temps, usually cooler than Fraser Island temps and normally clear days. The westerlies probably blow a bit more in Brisbane, but like you coming from Seattle, we come from Tasmania (much colder than Brisbane) twice a year to visit family, and we find the temps very comfortable.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

we stayed at kingfisher resort a few years ago but it was in August. Weather most days was really nice but not warm enough for me to swim. However in saying that it did not stop our son who was in the water all he time as well as the visitors from the northern hemisphere. Seems like the only ones that were not swimming were the Australian adults!!

If you are staying at Kingfisher the kids will love it. Lots of activities with their Junior ranger programme

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
580 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

Kids seem to swim any time of year, so they'll probably be fine. I don't know about all the pools being heated though.

Are you aware that the fun parks are at the Gold Coast, not Brisbane. It's not too far away but might make a difference to where you stay.

If you want to do all the things you've mentioned in Queensland, I would suggest you take your friends up on their offer to meet you in Brisbane unless you have other things you particularly want to do down there. It will save you some travel time.

Hope you have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
5. Re: Brisbane and Fraser Island weather in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 16, 2013