We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

Hi everyone. I'm just here to seek abit of advise. My girlfriend and I are flying into brisbane at around 1am on the 1st of November. We are hoping to catch the country link XPT train to Sydney the following morning to Sydney to start our adventure. As we are flying into Brisbane early hours in the morning and allowing 1.5 to 2 hours for baggage collection and customs we are going to need somewhere to stay with 24hr check in. Can anyone recommend a suitable place to stay preferably close to the train station. We are on a budget so the cheaper the better. Our plan is to travel up the east coast to Cairns and feel Sydney would be a good starting point. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

You didn't mention how long you are in Australia for but I'd recommend you travel to Cairns first and then work your way back to Sydney, as the weather will get very hot and humid from December onwards, and it's also the rainy season come summer.

After the Christmas holiday/end January it won't be as busy in Northern Qld, so less work available.

Brisbane City Backpackers is close to the Roma Street Transit Centre and they have 24 hour check-in. You may have to catch a taxi from the airport to the city at that time of the morning.

enjoy your stay

LTB

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

I would be very surprised if between now and November you couldn't pick up an airline ticket to Sydney for less than the cost of the train ticket.

Keep an eye on www.webjet.com

I'm assuming from your title that you are staying for a year on a WHV so no need to rush up to Cairns before the wet season but LTB is right - Far North Queensland is much better visited in the winter months. December --> early March is rainy, cyclonic and stinger season so no swimming in the ocean.

Not sure how far south you plan to travel, but you may consider starting in Brisbane, working your way south during the summer - don't miss Tasmania- and then fly up to Cairns round about April, working your way back down to Brisbane. And maybe even get over to WA during the year. Great work prospects over there at the moment and working on the mines counts as rural work if you want an extra year onthour WHV.

Exciting times ahead for you.

Happy travels!

Edited: 9:20 am, June 07, 2012
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

Hi LTB and Evamelb, thanks for your great replies. Yeah we're heading out on a WHV for a year and hoping to get our 2nd year out of it by doing the regional work. I never actually knew that mine work is considered as regional. I'm a diesel fitter (heavy vehicle mechanic) here in Northern Ireland so that would definently be something I could look into as a way to get the 2nd year on my visa. Also with the research I've done on diesel fitters in Audtralia there's a big shortage and they are also paid very well compared to here at home. Thanks for making me aware of that Evamelb. Our original plan was to start in cairns and work our way down the east coast hence us flying into Brisbane but with further investigation we realised like you's have mentioned about the box jellyfish migration and monsoon season starting a month after our arrival. From what I've read and researched I think it would be best for us to start off down south and follow the summer up north. Also we'd like to be in Sydney for christmas and possibly new year but being on a budget I'm not sure if this will be possible!! If you's can throw in anymore suggestions I'd be a happy man. Thanks again.

australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

Just noticed your comment of being on a budget and I've just returned from a holiday using mainly Airbnb homes. Our family stayed at over 7 places we booked off this site on our trip around Europe. People rent out their home while they're away or rent out spare bedrooms. My husband has stayed in about 6 places in Australia while he travelled with work, some as low as $30 a night. All excellent and a chance to live with locals. Just a tip for budget accom.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

All those great jobs in mining in Western Australia seem to be a mirage for many Australians - so I would put some research effort into that if WA is featuring as your second regional year. Maybe your skills are in genuine demand - too many Aussies seem to think that a heavy vehicle driving licence is the entre to driving huge dump trucks for a truck load of money. Apparently not so. So please be realistic - not nice to head over there, hoping, and come a gutser. But WA is a stunning state. You wouldn't want to miss it if at all possible.

As for the 24 hour accommodation - the backpackers near Roma Street

Station should work. Or for a little more comfort and privacy try George Williams Hotel in George Street. Or the Tower Mill in Wickham Tce. Both very handy to Roma Street station. Not sure how an early morning arrival is treated re booking - a hotel might want you to book the night of your arrival and the next night ie two nights. After all, they have to keep the room you use at 3.00am for you.

And I agree with the others - schedule your visit to north Queensland away from Dec - Feb. Unless you want the hot humid summer as some kind of rite of passage.

BTW, don't be surprised to get some 38 Celsius temperatures for days on end even in Melbourne over summer - the only real escape would be Tassie.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

jo_cut.. we have seen quite a number of these thinly disguised promotions for airbnb on the australian forums lately.

are they offering incentives for mention or is it just coincidence?

australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

Lien

wow, i thought the forum was for giving travellers relative advice.

Everything I said was true and correct. If you check my personal contributions and previous forum questions, I was arranging a 9 week trip in Europe. We returned 10 days ago and have just started reviewing our trip and thought I'd check what people were asking for help with in our home town. I have a family of 5 and try to travel on a very tight budget. Most hotels offer only double rooms so we need to pay for 2 rooms or the family room is very expensive. We just finished our trip spending less than half the cost on accomodation with double the size room, because of AIRBNB so I feel like shouting it out to fellow travellers. Just like any other reviewer HIGHLY RECOMMENDING something outstanding in their travels

Maybe the rest of Australia is just discovering the beauty of AIRBNB. We only first heard about it 8 months ago.

If there was anything being thinly disguised, it was your accusation of me being paid or being missappropriate. Which was 100% untrue

8. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, June 10, 2012
9. Re: Flying into Brisbane for a working holiday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 20, 2013