We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport layover time

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Airport layover time

We are going to be ariving at BNE airport from Auckland at 8:30am on a Monday, on Air NZ. We'd like to continue directly on to Darwin on Qantas. There is a flight at 9:55am, is that cutting too close? What is customs like at that time? How early would we have to check in for the Darwin flight?

The next flight doesn't leave until 8 or 9pm, giving us about 12 hours sitting in thte airport, and getting into Darwin at 1am. Any suggestions on how to kill the time if we can't make the 9:55am, flight?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airport layover time

After rereading your post, I would (for me anyhow, knowing that i can't sleep on planes and suffer bad jet lag) have a very long rest after the LAX-AKL-BNE flight.

Yes Virgin Blue flights are generally cheaper than Qantas, I had assumed that you were already booked for the QF flight. BNE - DWN flight is approx 4 hours. The Blue room has movies, comfy chairs, data points, cafe, bar and even massages available. I am surprised that they will allow non passengers, good idea!

we are reglar visitors to Darwin and we always try to go QF day fligt if we can, unless of course Virgin have a happy hour deal which we snap up.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Airport layover time

Nothing booked yet, I was still wildly hoping someone would give me an idea that would allow me to get the early flight.

Does the Blue Room only have armchairs? Or do they have small couches like I've seen in photos of the international departures area? Armchairs might not be any better for sleeping than a plane. Formule 1 looks like a good idea, even if they charge for 2 nights, it's only $59/night. But the Blue Room is even cheaper if they have couches.

I forgot about happy hour, I should keep an eye on that. Is "AEST" Sydney time? I think Queensland and NSW are an hour apart right now since NSW is on daylight savings time, correct? Perhaps this will help give me an incentive to get out of bed at 6am, and get to the gym at a reasonable time ;).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airport layover time

Yesterday, Virgin had happy hour flights from Melb to Sarwin for $99 one way!!!

If you were flying Qantas, they might be able to give you more advice on transfers between airports. Air NZ do not fly within Au. Look it is still possible to get that flight, but all depends on the day and if Air NZ is running late, goodbye flight. I personally would not risk it.

Yes Brisbane is 1 hour behind Sydney at present during daylight savings.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airport layover time

sorry I do not recall about the comfort of the chairs in the Blue Room, i do recall there were people watching the movie who looked like they were ready to fall asleep at any minute.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Airport layover time

I was thinking that I've done transfers at Heathrow and Frankfurt with short time. Even with 2 different airlines, they've been able to transfer the bags for me so I don't have to get them and re-check them. So I thought maybe I could do that here.

But these were cases where I was just passing through the airport and not staying in the country, so I didn't have to go through customs. Obviously if I'm transferring to a domestic flight, I'm going to have to go through customs first. And if I have to go through customs, I'll have to get my bags and re-check them myself.

But now the nutter I married has realized that we're going to be in the area during triathlon season, so he wants to rearrange our itinerary so he can enter one. So we may end up just staying in the Brisbane area first rather than going directly to Darwin and back. So it may all be a moot point.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airport layover time

Tell the nutter he can do his triathlons at home anytime and have a holiday and enjoy :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airport layover time

Are you suggesting I use logic on a person who does triathlons for fun?