We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for kencar

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
for kencar

Hi Carole

7 weeks to expore ,you lucky things, we had 4 weeks in 2004 this time it is only 3 weeks, but we will be packing lots in, first stop Brisbane ,then straight on to Tweed Heads which is 1/10 mins from Brisbane, we now have friends there who we met on our last visit so we are going to stay with them for 6 days, will do lots of site seeing though, from there on to Melbourne , GOR for 2 days then Melbourne city for 5 days, ,from there to Perth for 5 days , and then a 2 day stoppover in Dubai on the way home, so there will be plenty going on, what did you do in your 7 weeks, i would kill to go for that long, maybe one day, any tips for me, thanks for you kind message

Ann

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: for kencar

Hi Ann that sounds like a good trip, you are getting to some great places.

We've been to OZ 3 times so far, hopefully we'll get there again in 2007. We do house exchange with people in OZ, they come to our home we go to theirs. So far it's worked wonderfully.

Our 2005, 7 week trip included two house exchanges. First we flew to Sydney, (terrible weathere sadly!), stayed here for 2 nights then flew to the Gold Coast for our first exchange in a Brill house on Sovereign Islands, wow!!

Here for nearly 4 weeks then flew over to Perth, another great home for 3 weeks.

On other trips we have stayed just outside Brisbane, Sydney, Noosa, Maroochydore, Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula. The ferry to the Great Ocean Road leaves from Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula. A very pretty place.

We drove part of the GOR along to Port Fairy where we stayed in a beautiful little clapperboard B&B, real perfect.

We love OZ and don't really have a favorite place, but Brisbane & Noosa are special to us as we visited there on our first magical trip to OZ.

The Gold Coast beaches are beautiful as are the Sunshine Coasts, really are there any bad beaches in the whole of OZ??

Never been to Tweed Heads, let us know what you think, when you get home.

Melbourne is entirely different to any of the other cities, lots of trendy young people, good restaurants, you must go to Lygon Street if you like pasta, even if you don't, it's worth walking along on a warm evening. Definately lots to see and do there.

I really envy you, wish we were going this year.

Have a really fabulous time, how can you fail.

Carole.

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: for kencar

Carole, i can't believe what i have just read, yesterday i was off work and as my trip is all sorted i started looking into house swaped, spooky or what, which company do you use, i mantioned it to hubby but he is not inpressed, i am, only think i thought is we just live in a normal little house on an estate, all be it a nice estate , and i just can't see anyone form Oz wanting to stay here for 3+ weeks, did see someone from Sydney what wanted to stay in North Wales/Cheshire, which is where i live ,but as i say, i think they would want something posher than my little house, what do you think as it is something you have done before

If you would like to exchange info with me i would love to get in touch via e mail, it is nice to bounce ideas off each other

nellyingermany@yahoo.co.uk

Anyway bye for now

Ann

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: for kencar

Hi Ann, we use Homelink. They are an International company, their UK office is based in Surrey. Log on to their website and feast your eyes on the possibilities, the choices are literally endless. All types of homes are listed, what's more important to most exchangers is where the home is located. As a lot of Australians, Canadians and Americans have roots in the UK their first search is for a place near to their friends and relatives. Size of the home is not important, location is all.

We have done 13 exchanges so far and have another lined up for this year.

Our membership of Homelink has lapsed for 2006 as we normally join every two years and get enough exchanges to last the two years, then we join again.

I can't tell you how many offers we get, they pour in, in their thousands, mostly from Canada and Australia. (all expats). Being greedy we find it hard to decline but time & finances dictate sadly.

Find the website at www.homelink.org click on the visitors page and browse any country you would like to visit. Try an advanced search, typing in your preferences and see whats available.

Last year we went to Vancouver, Florida, Devon and 2 exchanges in OZ. Five exchanges in all. This year having a quieter time just going to North Carolina, USA.

We had such a successful exchange with a couple in Florida that we now exchange with them every two years. (That's with our Spanish home though).

We also exchange cars, but if hubby is nervous about house exchange he will definately find this a no-no!

So saying we have NEVER had a problem exchanging house or car. A lot of people don't exchange cars but it is an option and saves quite a large sum of money if you are away for 7 weeks.

Have a look and see what you think, I can't praise house exchange highly enough, it really is an amazing experience and you meet lovely people.

The only criteria really important for all house exchanges is that the home should be spotlessly clean, tidy and well maintained.

Tell me what you think.

Carole.