We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Brisbane Area - Stradbroke Gold Coast or Byron Bay

Hamburg, Germany
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 days in Brisbane Area - Stradbroke Gold Coast or Byron Bay

Me and my wife (31/29) will be arrive on 28th Jan 06 in Brisbane from Uluru for 6 days before flying back home to Germany. After a more or less stressful tour we would like to unwind, do a bit of swimming, snorkling, surfing and have some good bites to eat and enjoy the local atmosphere. I heard good things about Gold Coast and Byron Bay, but also saw a TV programme about Stradbroke Island, which looked very nice. We are not into theme parks or a too busy atmosphere. How busy is QLD at this time of the year, do we need to book in advance? And is it worth staying in Brisbane, if we are a little stretched on time? Lot of questions, but so many things to consider. :-))

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Brisbane Area - Stradbroke Gold Coast or Byron Bay

You will be arriving after the school holidays so no need to book as you will have plenty to choose from. Straddie is good (stradbroketours.com.au) and is close to Brisbane but you will need some time to get from there to the airport as it is south of the city and access by ferry. Gold Coast is very busy and touristy and Byron Bay is about 3hrs from Brisbane. For my money I would go to the Sunshine Coast which has good access to the airport (1hr) which is on the northside of town. You can stay at any number of beaches from Caloundra to Noosa. See previous postings for this area. I think Mooloolaba would suit you. See accommooloolaba.com.au.

PS Wifey always goes first.

Hamburg, Germany
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Brisbane Area - Stradbroke Gold Coast or Byron Bay

Lockie - thanks for your advice, sunshine coast sounds good. My wife and I (! :-)) will look into it. Sorry, but not even us Germans are that rude, I realised the mistake after my first posting.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Brisbane Area - Stradbroke Gold Coast or Byron Bay

Hi Stefan

I have just returned from Stradbroke, and I have been a long time visitor for many years. It is a beauiful island with great beaches and sea life. It will be quiet at the time of your visit. There is not a lot happening as far as reataurants, bars etc. however the natural beauty and relaxed atmosphere sure make up for it.

cheers

Jeff

http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz