We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

Hello there, how are you guys? I was wondering if it is possible to go from Brisbane to the Great Barrier Reef? We would like to avoid taking a flight to Cairns as we do not have enough time on our trip. Please give me the best options to go about going from Brisbane to the Great Barrier Reef. We would like to take a boatride out to the Reef.

Thanks and take care!

Jeff

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

No, the reef is not close to Brisbane. There maybe some reefs though, even though not part of the Great Barrier Reef. Sure I read here one of the locals say there was some good snorkel places.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

there are southern reef trips by boat from the gladstone area ( 1770) a few hours drive north of brisbane.

gladstoneholidays.info/things_to_see/great-b…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

What's the best logistical advice if we're coming from Tahiti? Do you do Sydney, Brisbane, and then Cairns before flying back to the U.S. or Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney to end the trip? What makes the most logical sense? Any other advice is great, thanks a ton!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

assume u r flying into sydney, so do that first.

then fly direct to cairns, then back to brisbane and fly home from there.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

OK, thanks for your help! What is there to do in Brisbane anyways? I heard there's a place where you can actually HOLD a koala and take pictures there? Anybody know if it's even worth going to Brisbane?

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

The place you refer to is called Lone Pine Sanctuary.

http://www.koala.net/index.htm

Brisbane is a great spot to explore amazing things. One hour south is The Gold Coast - beaches, hi-rise, theme parks etc....One hour North is the Sunshine Coast - beautiful beaches, award winning restaurants and home to Steve Irwins Australia Zoo.Brisbane itself has fantastic weather and a very casual cafe culture with a surprising array of diverse things to do.

If it becomes part of your itineray we will happily point you in the right direction.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
69 posts
7. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

Hello, I am traveling with my husband who will be in Brisbane on business in May 2009. I will not have access to a rental car. I see that there is a one day tour from Brisbane to Lady Elliot island. Will I see the Great Barrier Reef from there? I do not dive, but I understand snorkeling is easy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

SV

Brisbane
Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

If I recall correctly, Lady Elliot Island is off the coast of Gladstone, which is about 440km north of Brisbane.

A day trip seems a little ambitious to me. But, I could be wrong.

Be sure to check that out before committing. Australia is a big country, and people often make the mistake of thinking "Ill just take a drive up to the Great Barrier Reef" not realising it is thousands of Km away.

But yes, you will see the Reef from there, as it is a part of the southern most region of the Reef. I have not been there myself, but, typically, when people say they have been to the reef, they are referring to the more northern parts (off the coast of Cairns and Townsville).

Dont let that discourage you though, Im sure it will be just as stunning - and as it may not be around for too much longer, it is something everyone should try and see.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
69 posts
9. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

Thank you very much. The tour actually includes a 90 min coastal plane ride, so I guess that's how they do it in one day. It's $699 Australian dollars, but I really do want to see the reef, so to me it is worth the expense. I don't see any tours from Brisbane to Caines.

Thanks again for the reply.

www.visitbrisbane.com.au/tours2.asp…

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
10. Re: Boat from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef?

Details are here...

http://www.seairpacific.com.au/daytour.html

you may get it cheaper by dealing with seair direct.