We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Brisbane or Gold Coast

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Stay in Brisbane or Gold Coast

I am planning to holiday with my family (5 adults + 1 child - 2yo) in July 2005. Would it be better to get an apartment each in Brisbane for a few days and then in Gold Coast or would it be more worthwhile to stay in 1 place and travel out ? Any suggestions of a good and affordable apartment for us ? Budget around AUD150/night. Most apartments only offer 2-bedrooms and has restrictions of max. 5 adults. Would it be alright we there's an extra child in a 2-bedroom apartment ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Brisbane or Gold Coast

Brisbane is a great city, the Gold Coast is a great vacation area with lots of sights in addition to the beach. I wouldn't stay in Brisbane and venture south, perhaps what you could do is stay 1 day and night in brisbane and then head down the coast. If you are flying SQ and get the evening flight which lands around dawn in Brisbane is spend that day in brisbane, trip of the River boats etc and then next day head down the Coast. But if you just want to 'see' brisbane then perhaps doing it the other way would be better. You can take a train direct from International arrivals all the way to the Gold Coast, efficient and reasonable. Then perhaps just take a day trip into Brisbane, in fact you can get a day trip/tour from most places of the Golf Coast into Brisbane for the day if you just want sightseeing.

Accommodation wise you need to confirm in advance about the child as Australia has very strict regulations on accommodations and although the place may be happy to accommodate maybe the rules stop them! Most if not all though would 'accommodate' your request as long as you clear in advance.

Brisbane is a great city and if from Singapore you will enjoy but remember that there are some amazing attractions along the Gold Coast area. I 'think' you can actually get a transport deal on arrival at brisbane that includes the train ticket plus transfer to your accommodation, it is highly efficient. There are also Airport to Gold Coast bus operations, I will check my diary and get back with some links for you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Brisbane or Gold Coast

Here is a useful link

gold-coast.net/goldcoast/gettingthere.html

www.gold-coast-hotels.travelreporter.com

http://www.goldcoastaustralia.com/106167.php

Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Brisbane or Gold Coast

i lived on the GC for 8 years and it's a great place to visit. very beachy. Don't stay in Surfers Paradise especially with kids. i redcommend Braodbeach area. it's a little (10min) south of SP. a little quieter. beaches are quieter. Definitly get to Pacific Fair shopping center. it is very different to most malls with most of it outdoors. my favourite shopping place in the world and i've travelled a lot. a 10 min walk from the beach at Broadbeach. From here you could head up to Mt Tambourine less than an hours drive. it gives great views of the coast and southern brissy.

For a resort like stay try Runaway Bay area.

Brisbane to GC is only an hr drive. and the highway runs straight from Brissys center to the GC. easy to get around.

have a great time.