We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queensland

England, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Queensland

Will be visiting area mid December to mid January. As complete middle aged novices we would appreciate any advice. Have been told that Brisbane is good start (flying to there!) but would like to see some variety; e.g. Fraser Island, Sydney, Barrier Reef and anywhere else that anyone would like to suggest. We both like beach, sea (but I don't swim!!) scenery and people.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Queensland

Lol my turn to get caught out! I was replying to OP, not noticing it's 2005. Best to start new thread in these circumstances if you don't mind my saying :-) Also best possible weather isn't straightforward hottest month which also happens to be school hols therefore busy. And north is more tropical wet/dry seasons and south is four seasons.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Queensland

Yeah the Whitsundays do have stingers but they aren't usually seen out around the islands. That's something to do with them breeding at fresh water outlets I think, i.e. close to dry land and river mouths. It is easy to hire stinger suits though (lycra catsuits - just as unflattering on Elle Mcpherson, i'm sure!) especially if you go with a tour company, and these enable you to swim while almost totally protected. Anywhere north of approximately Bundaberg has stingers from October-May (conservative estimate). That's the thing, we have the most divine beaches and weather in north Qld but you *can't* get in the water to cool off! I use the word 'can't' quite losely.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Queensland

We were on a minibus touring from Cairns up to Daintree in March, via Mossman, Port Douglas etc. and our driver stopped at this lovely beach (Ellis Beach ?) for us to have a look only - having explained about the perils of even paddling there in March. Lo and behold, there were 4 people on the beach splashing away in the water - we were incredulous that people take risks like that but I suppose some people crave excitement .....

14. Re: Queensland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 07, 2009