We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we be welcome?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Will we be welcome?

Hi there,

as most of you are now probably aware we are applying for skilled migration to Bisbane area in Australia.

Both hubby and I are nurses and would be looking for nursing posts. Hubby in hospital seeting whereas i would be looking for a care home setting.

Do you think we will be welcome? I have heard many times that the British are known as winging poms....are we really that bad? *LOL*

Have just aways wanted to ask why winging poms......

Thanks x

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Will we be welcome?

I'm a nurse as well ...it'll probably be very easy to get work in Australia....probably in any state and in any city. Our plans would be to settle in Townsville, where hubby's family is. When we go in Sept I was going to check in at the hospital to see just how easy it is to get work there!

Thats whats so good about nursing...a highly demanded profession worldwide.

Good luck with your move.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Will we be welcome?

Nurses are always welcome! As you probably know, there is a real shortage at the moment, so you won't have any problems on that point. As for whinging pom stereotype, I don't think you need to worry about that...that image is kind of dated now. People here are accepting of anyone with a positive attitude. Like anywhere though, people who constantly make negative comparisons soon wear out their welcome. I once had a Canadian friend (used to be a friend) stay with me, but after one week of hearing how much better everything was in Toronto, I got pretty annoyed ... and I remember saying something like this on his last day "With everything being so bad here, I guess we should feel honoured you bother coming here at all"... and we haven't been in contact since.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Will we be welcome?

Many years back I remember a particular "current affairs" show that used to trot out interviews with the disaffected migrants and helped perpetuate the stereotype of the whinging POM. Even followed them back to UK, where they seemed to whinge just as loud. The whinging POM stereotype IS dated, but lingers in the psyche. Probably wasn't helped in the 70's when it seemed like most of the vocal union stewards that we saw on TV complaining about things were expat POMs. My wife was is a POM by the way (came out with her parents under assisted migration scheme aka "10 pound tourists" in the 60s .... but she was naturalised and has made a full recovery ;).

You are likely to find POMs and a range of origins/accents in most workplaces these days. Much more diverse in the past 20 years by the way, used to be almost exclusively european origins, now from all over - all are accepted (or not) by the attitude they bring.

POMs (origin uncertain by the way, although a dominant theory is certainly the Prisoners of His Majesty/ Mother England one - and not usually intended as a derogatory term) and Kiwis are well represented and always cop a bit of a ribbing about sports as "favourite enemies" (although recently we've all pretended we didn't watch any rugby game when we played All Blacks). Expect a bit of good natured ribbing on sports (and pretty much only on sports). Don't take it personally & keep your sense of humour as it is a back-handed way of offering acceptance.

Advice for Canadians? As an observation the Canadians fit in well (Next door neighbour is a resident alien Canadian - he and his wife have an Australia Day BBQ for the neighbourhood each year). No, we don't understand Ice Hockey...I have seen a number of interesting techniques, most aim to have people understand they are not from the US (Is that common elsewhere? - sounds similar to Kiwis trying to ensure they aren't mistaken as Ozzies when overseas..) I recently heard one Canadian consultant say "you can tell I'm from Canada, because I'm listening to the questions first, not telling you what I think the answer is" - sounds like there's another stereotype lurking there...

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Will we be welcome?

Hi Fudge

Although I have never lived in Aus, I have been a regular traveller for many years spending most Jan/Feb in various parts of this great country. As with all things, its down to your own attitude and personality, Australians are very friendly and open people and I am sure will make you feel very much at home. Much of the Whinging stuff is homesickness and this affects anyone emigrating, I speak to a lot of Ausies and Kiwis over here in the UK and they are just the same, crapping on about this and that.

If I could turn the clock back, I would have emigrated to Australia years ago. Good luck with your plans.

15. Re: Will we be welcome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 03, 2009