We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

Hi. We are two friends from the UK planning a trip. I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this. We fly into Brisbane in March and fly out of Sydney a month later. We will probably stay in hostels and get around by bus/train/plane although we could hire a car. We are interested in seeing the natural beauty of the country and the culture, travelling on a budget. We will stay in Brisbane for a few days then we are hoping to fit in seeing part of the barrier reef and an overland trip to/ from Uluru as part of our trip and to see the Blue Mountains while in Sydney. Do you have any suggestions of the best route to do this? I'm hoping to avoid flying in and out of Sydney to get to Uluru since we are already flying out of there to get back home.

I'm also concerned about how hot it will be to do the overland route but a friend did a trip from Alice to Cairns by minibus and recommended it. Also the best order in which to fit in Uluru and the Reef due to temperature in the interior and jelly fish season at the coast!

I suspect the best way may be a flight from Brisbane to Cairns and then a flight to Uluru but I wondered if there were other sensible options such as train/ bus with stop offs on the way or whether there is an alternative to go from Brisbane to Uluru and then to Cairns then fly to Sydney. There's so much to see and it is such a big area I find it a bit bewildering so I'm trying to avoid retracing our steps. Thanks in advance, Anne

11 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
1. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

I leave someone else to help with your itinerary planning but these are the only airlines flying into Uluru (AYQ).

Jetstar from Melbourne or Sydney

QantasLink from Alice Springs or Cairns

Virgin Australia from Sydney

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,594 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

I would fly fro Brisbane to Cairns, then Cairns to Uluru and from there to Sydney. That to me is the most logical route.

Not sure about overland option. I wouldn't do it even if I could. Too long and too hot.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

With only a month to see Sydney, Brisbane/Sunshine Coast/Fraser Island, Cairns Region and Uluru, you don't have time to do justice to an overland route, and the cost of hiring an appropriately fitted out and reliable camper van would likely be far more than flying anyway.

Don't subject yourself to a long, hot, boring drive, when you an fly and enjoy time in places that are visited for a reason.

It would be different if you had a year and your own car, but you don't.

Cheers.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

Thanks for advice so far. Much appreciated

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

From Cairns to Alice it will be about 3.5 days of nothing but driving for at least 8 hours each day. The country you pass through is interesting and rather varied, but you don't have time to stop if you only have a month.

A better idea if you want to get to Uluru is fly to Alice or Uluru and then do a 4 day camp/accom trip in the area inlduing the West Macs Kings Canyon etc. You can then spend some time in this area and get the benefit that way .

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

Thanks to all. For various reasons (partly advice from hamiriver!) we have decided to fly Brisbane to Alice and then we are booked on to a 5 day tour to see Uluru/ Kings Canyon etc. After the tour we are looking into going from Alice to Townsville by Greyhound then on to Cairns or we could fly from Alice to Cairns. The bus trip to Townsville takes just over 24h and is a little cheaper than the flight (plus saving on accomodation for one night!!). There are only a few short stops but at least we would get to see the country rather than just fly over it. There are only two buses a week so we think it is unlikely we have time to stop on the way and pick up then next bus. If anyone has any experience of this trip then it would be good to hear whether you think the Greyhound is a good idea. Thanks

Edited: 3:26 pm, December 04, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

A 24 hour bus trip here would be absolutely horrible. You’d be sitting upright the whole time. If we had sleeper buses like South America it would be bareable. Don’t do it if you can, fly. It will take you a day to recover.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,791 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

Hi,

With such a short time in country and I too would urge you to fly between destinations.

Cheers,

Brisbane
3 posts
9. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

if you are going from brisbane itll be better to book a flight from here Brisbane to Cairns then Cairns to Ayers Rock , then Ayers rock to sydney be much better you can always book your great barrier reef tours when you get to cairns as you might find cheaper tours also skyscanner.com.au a good site for flights you can search multistops aswell or stick to the one alliance if you are a frequent flyer and want claim your points

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
154 reviews
10. Re: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru

Forget the coach, you don't have time really. Maximise your time at Uluru and flying Brisbane to Cairns to Uluru to Sydney makes for good planning if you can change the dates of your 5 day trip. Whitsundays is also hugely popular if you have the time.

Reply to: Help with planning trip from Brisbane to Uluru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted