We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

Hi all, advice needed. I have looked at the airport info and it looks like all the phone companies close long before my flight even arrives! Anyone know if there is a telstra or optus shop in the airport that is likely to be open at around midnight Christmas eve to sell and active a couple of prepay sim cards? We have had hassle activating over the phone on Christmas day before, so would prefer to get it done and dusted before we leave the airport. We are staying in a place with no wifi so a sim is needed to get my adolescent through Christmas Day!

6 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

I dont think you will have any luck. The teen may have to bring a book!

I just called IGA supermarkets, who open Xmas Day, but they don't sell sim cards. You may have to wait until Boxing Day when all the phone companies wil be open again.

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,801 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

There is a slim chance ... Woolworths Supermarket at the airport Skygate centre is open 24 hours, now I don't know what that means for Christmas Day but you could ask on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/woolworths

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

I was shocked at how many different SIM cards you can now get a Woolworths! I think it might be your best bet. You can grab one there and then go to McDonald’s and use the free wifi to set it up. There is a McDonald’s on the drive out of the airport but just check that it’s open 24 hours (pretty sure it is). I always use Skype credit too to make calls when overseas (in wifi range). Saves a fortune. I was one of those poor suckers that used her data in the US and got a $1400 bill, I cried when I got it. Never again

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

Thanks guys, Idid think I might be out of luck. Thanks for the tips about woolies though!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

Thanks for that, I think phoning IGA was definitely beyond the call of duty, but much appreciated!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?

The Optus shop in Arrivals at Brisbane closes at 11 30pm. You might be lucky. :) bne.com.au/store/…optus

Reply to: Late Christmas eve arrival - can I buy a sim card at BNE?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted