We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Westfield, Indiana...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Traveling to Brisbane next week and wondering what type of SIM cards might be available, and what will be the best to use while in Brisbane and Cairns? Vodaphone? Telstra? I have never had to buy a prepaid SIM, so I just want to make sure what I purchase will work well during my stay.

Thanks in advance!

14 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,564 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Firstly, make sure your phone is unlocked.

If you are confident to change over your own SIM and activate it yourself, then you have the choice of more brands.

Optus and Vodafone both have outlets at the airport if you want someone else to activate your SIM, but if you can wait to get in to the city, then you can look at a Woolworths or Aldi (supermarkets) brand SIM, which IMO provide better value for money and much higher data allowances. There are also heaps of phone shops in the city as well - currently Woolworths is offering 30 days unlimited local calls, 8g data for $40, but if you are only here for a couple of weeks, you might find that the vodafone $20 SIM suits your needs.

cheers.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

There is an Optus shop in the Arrivals area at Brisbane airport.

Read this: https:/…Sim.Card.Options.html

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Just make sure the provider you go with has coverage for the places you are visiting. Some of the smaller ones don't have great cover outside major centres. They will have maps showing coverage on their websites.

Westfield, Indiana...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Thanks so much for your feedback! As long I can get on WiFi to get an Uber out of the airport, maybe I'll hit up a Woolworth's once I get there.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
114 reviews
5. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Brisbane airport has free wifi ... no need for a sim.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,564 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

yes, there is free wifi at BNE so you will be sorted.

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

You definitely want a carrier that uses Telstra. I work in remote areas (national parks) and I need Telstra as the others don't work. Aldi definitely uses Telstra and I'm thinking woolies might too?

Westfield, Indiana...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate your help! Can't wait for our trip to BNE next week!

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

Hi, may I seek more advices on prepaid sims. How much does it cost for only data (no calls) and which telco should I take if I travel to Gold Coast and Melbourne ? Can I get the data only SIM card in brisbane Airport ?

Edited: 5:48 am, November 04, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,564 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?

If younare only in Melbourne and Gold Coast, any carrier will be fine.

I have no idea about data onlly sims - but google is your friend.im sure there would be some available - but maybe at supermarkets as well as at the airport - supermarkets have bigger range.

Cheers.

Reply to: Brisbane Airport: SIM card options?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted