We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane v's Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane v's Melbourne

Hi,

Myself and family are hoping to emigrate to Aus next year. My husband's friends have recently emigrated to Brisbane and are loving it. We have really been thinking about Melbourne but my husband has now started thinking about Brisbane but I have my heart set on Melbourne. We have never actually been to Aus, which is why we are now planning a trip to Melbourne in July. My husband likes the sound of Brisbane because the weather is much hotter but then will that not attract more insects???? (I have to add that a am a little afraid of your nasty spiders/snakes there!) Any strong views of best places to emigrate to? Naturally, we would hope to visit Brisbane too on our trip to Melbourne. We are a young family with a 6 year old child. I am a primary teacher and my husband is a plumber/gas engineer. Our priority is to find a nice suburb with good state schools.

Thank you for your advice.

Jill

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

Hi Jills

I don't usually answer this v that questons because its all so subjective & often leads to heated arguements. I would comment on the weather though. One of the things many people love about Melbourne is the variations in the weather. We do get lots of hot weather sometimes very hot weather but invariably a cool change will come through after a few days to give some relief. Likewise in Winter we will get a cold snap (not like in Scotland but with temps around 5C) but they rarely last long before warmer days roll in. We also only rarely have very humid days, which can be quite tough to take.

Brisbane on the other hand does have long hot spells with lots of sunshine but little relief even at night, and also has quite humid weather. Great for holidaying in when you can sit by a pool or on a beach but tough if you have to work in it day in day out.

I'm sure other will have their opinions but those are my thoughts.

Sydney
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

My family emigrated to Sydney from England back in 1990 I was only 12. From my experience, my mum found it very difficult at first to settle in mainly due to the fact that she had no friends, no work and was home sick while my dad was at work. So my point is, when you get down to the dirty everyday living thing, working, kids, schooling, food shopping, housework etc it doesnt matter where you live. Its got to do with how you adapt to your surroundings and with the people. Now my mum is very happy but there was a point where we were all going to pack up and leave after 3 months!

Considering your husbands friends live in Brisbane, you may find it easier to adapt there if you have that personal support early on.

Melbourne is probably a more interesting city than Brisbane but a lot of people are moving to Brisbane due to more oportunties in work, lower cost of living and house prices and warmer climate.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

I guess you have to follow your heart on this one, if you already have friends living in Brisbane, you immediately have some social interation and some local knowledge to assist you. If you find the heat offensive, then Melbourne may be a much better choice as you will certainly have four seasons in one day there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

Yes, a very difficult question to answer, as both cities offer a diversity of different attractions, and both are equally good for what you may want as a family home.

I would highly recommend checking out both places before making a huge move. You will get a better understanding of what both cities offer you.

Brisbane is a lovely laid back casual city, with friendly helpful people. You are close to the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast for beaches. Brisbane offers sunshine most of the year with very attractive temperatures.

Melbourne is our cultural traditional city which I call an "elegant Lady", it houses some of the best restaurants and shops in Australia. Temperatures vary from hot to cold, and sometimes you can get four seasons in one day. It's a much bigger city than Brisbane, so for work situations you may be better of in Melbourne.

Tradesmen are like "gems" in Australia, we have a huge shortage of skilled tradesmen. ...so you probably will be okay in both places for work.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

I will weigh into this vs debate by saying that while I live in Brisbane and am completely loyal to the city (until a better offer comes along) I could quite happily live in melbourne.

a few things i can say are that yes brisbane is much hotter in general. it is a subtropical climate and can get very humid in mid summer. that said it doesn't seem to be as bad this year as it has been in previous years. it is also a more stable climate with very predictable weather patterns. Melbourne is a bit more unpredictable. their hottest summer day is usually hotter than brisbanes hottest summer day each year, and the winters are significantly colder than brisbanes mild offering. but if you live in melbourne then you can easily go skiing in winter. but if you live in brisbane there are fabulous beaches just up the road year round (and a man made one in the heart of the city center).

melbourne is certainly australia's 'culture' capital with may good museums, theater companies, art galleries and historical areas. while brisbane is not in any way devoid of such things it does not promote them as its main attraction.

brisbane's good climate lends itself to outdoor living, and riding the citycat along the river before stopping for an alfresco cafe style lunch at racecourse road and then going back again is a very fine way to spend a sunday.

in brisbane you also have easy access to may of australia's wonders including the reef (just up the coast) and the outback. in sydney you have the wine country, the great ocean road and the mountains.

I would visit both and view them with the eyes of a resident instead of a tourist (if you get my meaning) before making any decisions

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

Interestingly, there has been a more spirited debate and Brisbane sledging on the Melb forum, where this exact same question has been posed. Makes for interesting reading............ : P

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k1042…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

firebucket.

Guilty to fiery debate with the old Nozzie but I hope you don't include me in Brisbane sledging. I have put forward Melbournes case but don't think & hope I haven't maligned Brisbane at all.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

Aussiejohn-a fiery debate with nozzie?i dont believe it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

Hi Jills

We are a couple who moved to Melbourne from the UK last November. I have to say that everyone said there wouldn't be spiders and bugs here and there are!! Ok not as many as Brisbane maybe .. So it may be that wherever you go they will come and visit. Some of our friends live in Brisbane and the house prices seem better there but just like everyone says on the forum it depends so much on what you are looking for.

Melbourne has great restaurants and lots of fun places and it's so near to beautiful outdoors stuff and there is so much to see and do ( and lots of international people , more than I would ever at first have thought ) but I think Brisbane is more outdoorsy from what I hear. Having said that its lovely to be in Australia - somewhere where people are so friendly, and it feels safer than being in the UK and I am sure you will be very happy wherever you end up.

Good luck and have fun deciding !!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brisbane v's Melbourne

Must be because we are all so proud of our fair city and are happy to sing its praises and not speak ill of elsewhere!