We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Undara to Townsville

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Undara to Townsville

I'm coming over to Queensland, in May 2007. Part of the holiday will be a 7 day self drive tour. My provisional schedule is Cairns -> Cape Tribulation (2 nights) -> Atherton -> Undara -> Townsville(2 nights) -> Mission Beach -> Cairns.

1) Can anyone with experience of the area let me know if it can be done in 7 days?

2) How long will the journey from Undara to Townsville take?

3) Can route 63 be driven in May in a normal hire car?

4) How desolate is route 63, my map shows just 1 Road House and nothing else between Greendale and Charters Towers?

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Undara to Townsville

1. yes you can do it but you will have 2 testing driving days.

2. 7 hrs driving time..Drive it in daylight hours and not at dawn or dusk.Charters towers is an interesting place imho.

3. yes

4.by queensland outback standards not that desolate.The countryside is boring being hilly,scrubby cattle country.BTW its geenvale.Just make sure

you have plenty of fuel .

a good cd to listen to.

watch out for road trains

share the middle strip of bitumen.

the risks are probably better than driving the snake pass in january

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Undara to Townsville

Thanks Jacko, which is the other leg of the journey do you think will be hard driving?

Do you have any suggestions for alternative itineraries?

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Undara to Townsville

State route 63 (Originally part of National route 55, to be resignposted as route A7) was sealed one lane in the late 1960s (i.e. there is only the middle!) and is not in particularly good condition. You have no trouble getting through though (wet season closures are generally short). If you meet a road train coming the other way be ready to get off the road altogether - if the shoulder is poor they will want not to get off the bitumen at all

Don't be put off though, it makes an interesting contrast to the coastal route. It won't normally look desolate in May as the summar rains will have greened things up (usually)

There are services available at The Lynd (92 km south of the junction of the Kennedy and Gulf developmental roads, a km of so down the road to Hughenden), Greenvale (another 47 km further), and Blue Water Springs (another 89 km from Greenvale) from where it is 111 km to Ch. Towers

If you don't want to take in Charters Towers (if you had time I would take it in though), or you are sick of route 63, the Herveys Range Developmental Road runs direct from Blue Water Springs to Townsville. The last section was sealed a couple of years ago and it is an excellent two lane road. There are fine views as you descend the Herveys range about 45 km west of Townsville. There are no services on this road until Alice River about 30km west of Townsville.

Undara to Townsville via Herveys Range is about 4 1/2-5 hrs

4. Re: Undara to Townsville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 22, 2009