We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several Questions about Travel to Australia

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,054 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Several Questions about Travel to Australia

Hi all, I'm asking these questions for my friend, her daughter is going to Sippy Downs next Friday to study for a semester. If anyone knows the answers I would appreciate it.

1 - Prescription medicines that she has to bring (in her carry on and in the original package with the label on, anything else?). Can she bring advil, mucinex, etc. (over the counter drugs)?

2 - Can she bring food that comes wrapped (like breakfast bars, small bags of chips, pretzels, individually wrapped muffins, stuff like that)?

3 - She has a VISA with no foreign transaction fees. Would there be any fees on the Australia end?

4 - She said she needs a statuatory declaration for her computer, would she need that also for her camera, phone, ipod, etc.? How does she go about this?

Thanks in advance for any help at all :)

Oz
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

Hi,

The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes. Declare everything!

2. Probably. Declare everything.

3. Depends on her financial institution but probably. Check with them.

4. A stat dec about what? Tools of trade? I really don't understand this question.

Cheers,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

here is a copy of the arrivals card she will have to fill out.

immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/bord…

1. better to declare even though customs hardly raise an eye brow over otc's

2. why? we have all that sort of stuff here. but yes ALL food needs to be declared.

3. sometimes vendors charge for CC use. but there should be no transaction fees this end.

4. dont understand that either. they are all personal items.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

She might be a little confused about the stat dec. An importer must have stat decs for goods valued over $1,000 but only for commercial purposes. I'm presuming she is coming here for study and as so she can carry basically any amount of goods she wants to. She must declare goods over $900 value but that is just on her arrivals card ( see Lien's post ) There are no costs or penalties for carrying these goods but they must be declared on the form which will be given to her on the plane so make sure she has a pen with her.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,054 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses!

This is what was in with her papers, instructions, etc. -

Bringing Your Computer

Bringing a PC or laptop into Australia may be complicated. Items owned and used for more than 12 months prior to arrival are allowed in tax free. Proof of the date of purchase and purchase price may be required. Otherwise you may be required to pay the tax on these items when entering Australia.

Computers which are less than 12 months old and over AU$400 may attract Goods and Services Tax (GST) at a rate of 10%. Consideration is given as to whether or not you intent to export the computer at the conclusion of your studies.

To satisfy the Customs Officer that you will be taking the computer out of Australia you should bring along a Statutory Declaration (a written Declaration witnessed by a certifying authority in your country) stating that the computer is for use during your studies in Australia, and that you intend to take it back with you when you complete your studies. You may be required to give an undertaking under Section 162 to this effect and provide a cash security to Australia Customs upon arrival."

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,054 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

thanks for that link, lien, I will show her that :)

Oz
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. It is news to me! I always take a laptop or now days an IPad with me and have never been questioned on return to Oz. I assume this rule only applies to foreign nationals?

Cheers,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

yes, i i guess all governments can be a bit bureaucratic. like all of them ours loves forms, paperwork and authorizing signatures.

but never seen or heard of this being enforced in any way.

before my partner got residency she was in and out of australia with all those sorts of things multiple times a year and never gave it a second thought.

but if it's no trouble to get a stat dec, why not. better to be safe than sorry.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

"I assume this rule only applies to foreign nationals?"

i seem to remember that if u take stuff out of the country u have bought in australia and paid gst on eg. computers, cameras etc and then return with them u can run into some trouble as they could be assessed as part of your $900 duty free allowance if u dont have proof of purchase.

somewhere in the darkest depths of some governent dept there is a declaration form u can fill out before leaving that allows u to list all this stuff.

but who does?

no one i know.

Edited: 9:59 pm, February 05, 2013
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

All the Australians here are saying the same thing. Computers are now just a piece of stuff like a watch or a camera or your back-pack. Nobody in officialdom is going to care about someone bringing a computer in, or taking it out again.

Your friend's daughter won't be asked for a stat dec. But she could bring one if it makes her feel better.

She'll get a lot more stress over trying to bring food into the country. :))

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,054 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Several Questions about Travel to Australia

Thanks all. Lien, the snacks are mostly for the plane rides and she did want to have a couple of things so she didn't have to run right out and shop, I guess. I'm giving her all your info, thanks again everyone :)